Chambers USA 2015, the world’s leading guide to the legal profession for businesses, describes our environmental attorneys as “a well-regarded group regularly defending clients on federal enforcement actions and ensuring compliance with CERCLA and clean water regulations.” and noted in its most recent edition that “[Alston & Bird] acts for an impressive roster of multinational companies and energy suppliers.” Also, U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2015 ranked our firm in Tier 1 for Environmental Law and Litigation – Environmental, and also recognized eight of our partners as national leaders in the environmental field.
We have decades of experience across every aspect of environmental law, litigation and regulation on both state and federal levels, including:
- regulatory compliance, permitting and enforcement under state and federal environmental laws involving every regulated media;
- civil, criminal and toxic tort litigation, including mass torts and class actions;
- land use and project development for major industry, real estate and infrastructure projects, including all regulatory and litigation issues related to permitting, zoning, land use regulations and infrastructure; and
- air, water and waste permitting with substantial experience in the rulemaking process, including litigation.
Our attorneys are nationally recognized and respected by our industry peers and the regulators with whom we work. Members of our group include:
- Current co-chair of the ABA Environmental Litigation Committee;
- Current chair of the ABA Mass Torts Committee;
- Current member of Leadership Counsel for the Environmental Law Institute;
- Former director of California’s Department of Toxic Substances Control;
- Former general counsel of the California Environmental Protection Agency;
- Former assistant section chief of the Department of Justice Environmental Crimes Section;
- Former general counsel of the California Natural Resources Agency; and
- Two past chairs of the ABA Environmental Enforcement & Crimes Committee.
We are dedicated to delivering innovative, multi-faceted legal solutions to complex environmental challenges. Because we also understand that the practice of law is a highly competitive, service-oriented profession, our firm’s culture is one grounded on the fundamental values of unwavering client service and tireless advocacy on our clients’ behalf. These values, and the depth of our substantive experience across a full suite of environmental compliance, enforcement and litigation services, are matched by very few other national law firms.