Who We Serve
We provide legal counsel to our clients across multiple jurisdictions and across all sectors of the payments industry.
Our clients include:
- Payment Networks and Card Associations
- Global, Regional, and Community Banks
- Card Issuers
- Merchant Acquirers
- Third Party Processors
- PSPs, ISOs, MSPs and VARs
- Alternative Payment and Funding Innovators
- Global Retailers
- Mobile Payment Participants, including Handset Manufacturers and Network Operators
- Prepaid, Loyalty and Rewards Program Managers
- POS Equipment Manufacturers
- Financial Technology Innovators
- Payments Associations and Clearing Houses
Partnering in the Payments Industry
In addition to bringing our legal expertise to our engagements, we also work and partner frequently with the world’s leading payments consultants in providing an integrated professional services offering in areas such as:
- Mobile payment strategies
- Market opportunity assessments
- New product, service and market viability studies
- Operational and systems audits and reviews
- Business and product strategy, execution and implementation
- Acquisition and new business integration
We partner frequently as well with private equity and venture capital firms in assessing global opportunities, conducting due diligence, and both acquiring and divesting portfolio companies in the payments space.
Bringing Value to Our Clients
World Class Team
To provide the scope and quality of services our clients expect, our multidisciplinary Payments Group is comprised of exceptional, nationally and internationally recognized practitioners who are drawn from all of the firm’s subject matter specialties and across all of our offices. In many instances, these lawyers have worked in, if not dedicated their practices to, the particular and varied needs of the payments industry for over 20 years and are trusted, sought-after advisors to some of the industry’s most recognized global leaders.
As a representative cross-section of the firm’s Payments Group, below are profiles of 12 different team members:
- A Brussels-based lawyer who has worked with leading payment industry companies for nearly 20 years and has led dozens of acquisitions and strategic alliances across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia, with particular expertise and experience in cross-border joint ventures.
- The United States’ leading authority on retail and wholesale payment systems, products and services related to card-based products, and ACH and check-based products — a trusted advisor to one of the world’s largest card networks and the United States’ oldest and most innovative payments association and processor.
- A U.K.-qualified solicitor who previously acted as in-house counsel onsite in Dublin, Ireland for a leading international payments company during its most acquisitive period focused on European expansion, and who later helped lead from Brussels a pan- European payments related reorganization and expansion of a U.S.-based bank.
- A lawyer who has represented financial services companies in their entry into new markets in Europe and the Americas, who spent two years based in Brussels leading an international expan¬sion in corporate payment systems for a leading financial institu¬tion, and who recently led PSD registration efforts for a leading B2B joint venture 50 percent owned by the world’s best known payment network.
- A lawyer with more than 14 years of operational experience as a business person at a leading retailer of financial services (including payday loans, consumer loans, check cashing, bill payment and prepaid debit card services), who now applies both her business experience and legal expertise on behalf of payments clients, with a particular focus on electronic payment systems and products, including credit and debit cards, stored value/prepaid card products and health benefit cards.
- A former official of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, who served various roles over the course of a 15-year tenure, including as the responsible officer for the banking applications and enforcement functions, as well as the founding director of the Retail Payments Risk Forum, where he worked to identify, understand and mitigate emerging risks in retail payments systems.
- A multidisciplinary commercial lawyer fluent in Mandarin Chinese who recently assisted one of the world’s leading merchant acquirers in its strategic, global relationship with China’s best known payments company.
- A former editor-in-chief of the Electronic Banking Law and Commerce Report (1999 to 2008) with over 25 years of experience who, in 1994, represented a leading bank in its pre-IPO equity investment in what has become one of the world’s leading payment companies.
- A lawyer who has spent two years working onsite as an in-house resource for a leading provider of innovative paycard solutions, including prepaid and general purpose reload cards, and who currently serves in a similar role with one of the world’s leading providers of payment solutions and POS devices.
- A pioneer in health care payments and health care benefit cards and their intersection with the consumer-directed health care arena and HIPAA privacy, who has worked closely with private industry as well as U.S. government institutions in advising upon tax-favored health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs) and health savings accounts (HSAs).
- A leader in counseling banks, payment services companies and their service suppliers regarding privacy and security compliance, with a particular expertise in leading multidisciplinary teams in privacy, security and data breach/network intrusion response.
- The leading United States expert in advising clients regarding unclaimed property, tax, consumer protection and other regulatory issues related to gift cards, loyalty/awards/incentive programs, discount voucher programs, virtual gift cards and other stored value/prepaid access products.