Senator Dole, the 1996 Republican candidate for president, former Senate Finance Committee chairman and Senate Majority Leader who served longer in a Senate leadership role (Minority and Majority) than any other Republican in U.S. history, has an enormous reservoir of knowledge and expertise—based on more than 40 years at the pinnacle of political life in Washington—that has proven to be invaluable to Alston & Bird’s clients, who have turned to him and the firm for representation in our nation’s capital.
Former Representative Earl Pomeroy has decades of experience and record of leadership on a full range of domestic and foreign policy issues. Congressman Pomeroy served as a senior member of the House Ways and Means Committee and its Trade Subcommittee.
Joining Senator Dole in the Legislative and Public Policy Group are Tom Scully, the former administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and numerous other former senior officials from every administration since Ronald Reagan was inaugurated in January 1981, with service in the White House; both houses of Congress; the Departments of Health and Human Services, Justice, State and Treasury; the Office of the Trade Representative; the National Security Agency; and a panoply of regulatory agencies, including the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, the Commodities Futures Trading Commission, the Food and Drug Administration and the Office of Thrift Supervision, among others.
Alston & Bird’s Legislative & Public Policy attorneys provide a full range of services to help our clients participate in and shape public policy debates before, rather than after, decisions are made; we also provide guidance in how to respond to decisions once they are made. We are among the most visible and respected voices in political Washington on global business strategies, privacy and data security, tax policy and regulation, and telecommunications. We represent clients before Congress, the executive branch and regulatory agencies in Washington, as well as throughout the country at the state and local level. We are frequently consulted by Congress on legislative matters, testify on a wide range of issues and prepare our clients when they are called upon to testify. We work directly with members and staff on Capitol Hill and with senior officials in federal agencies to help craft legislative and regulatory language that harmonizes the needs of our clients with the other relevant stakeholders.
- Alston & Bird’s Legislative and Public Policy group has been ranked in the top tier of firms for government relations by Chambers USA since 2009.
- The Washington Business Journal ranked us among the top 7 law firms with lobbying practices in 2013. We were ranked among the top 12 for all lobbying firms.
- In 2012, Roll Call named Alston & Bird among the top 12 lobbying firms in the nation and among the top 7 for lobbying law firms.
- Alston & Bird’s Legislative and Public Policy Group has been ranked among the top 20 lobbying firms in the country by Opensecrets.org since 2009.
- National Public Radio ranked us “one of the top lobbying firms in D.C.” in April 2010.
- Alston & Bird is regularly ranked among the top 10 lobbying law firms by the Center for Responsible Politics.
- The National Law Journal regularly ranks Alston & bird among the top 20 lobbying firms in the nation.