Representative Transactions: Tax Qualified and Savings Plans
Representative business transactions and engagements that exhibit our range of experience include the following:
- We represented a major regional financial services company in a merger of equals, including the design and implementation of dozens of employee benefits plans for the combined entity.
- Special counsel in a multibillion-dollar pension matter incident to the bankruptcy of a major airline where Alston & Bird was not the bankruptcy counsel.
- We filed with the Internal Revenue Service the largest single “self-compliance” filing ever received by the IRS National Office.
- We have worked with our capital markets attorneys in conducting due diligence and structuring transitions in literally hundreds of purchase, sale, merger and spin-off transactions in the last five years.
- We designed and drafted, in the late 1980s, one of the first cash balance pension plans in the country, and have since successfully defended class action challenges to several clients' cash balance plans.
- We structured and implemented a $125 million leveraged ESOP, including creation of convertible preferred stock issued to the ESOP.
- We created a unique software program that allows a client with multiple qualified plans to quickly try "what if" scenarios for separate line of business (SLOB) testing.
- We advised a major client on fiduciary implications in the purchase of a pension annuity contract for several hundred million dollars.
- We regularly advise venture capital funds on "plan asset" rules, including VCOC exemptions.
- We regularly advise real estate funds and pension funds on fiduciary and UBIT aspects of real estate investments.