Legislation and policymaking services we provide our exempt organization clients:
- Legislative, Lobbying and Political Activities of Section 501(c)(3) Organizations, including Public Charities and Private Foundations
- Legislative, Lobbying and Political Activities of Section 501(c)(6) and other Categories of Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Advocacy on the Internet
- The Section 501(h) Election
- Review and Evaluation of Legislative and Political Initiatives and Agendas
- Registration under the Lobbying Disclosure Act
- Monitoring and Evaluating Federal, State and Local Legislation
- Drafting and Implementing Legislation
Examples of our legislation and policy making expertise:
- We formed and organized, and now administer, The National Business Coalition on E-Commerce and Privacy, Inc., a tax-exempt business league created to support the enactment of consistent federal and state laws that support the growth of electronic commerce in a way that achieves a reasonable and practical balance between the legitimate interests of both business and consumers. Members include nationally recognized companies and associations from a variety of economic sectors, including manufacturing, retail, financial services and media.
- At the request of a major conservation organization concerned about the loss of open space to development, we devised a tax credit mechanism that will enable landowners to receive economic benefits for imposing conservation easements on their property. We then drafted a bill, which has been introduced in Congress, to implement that plan. The bill has been uniformly heralded as a creative and sensible solution to a national crisis.
- We regularly advise section 501(c)(3) public charities on how to use the section 501(h) election to maximize the effectiveness of their legislative efforts.
- Our exempt organization lawyers regularly speak and write on legislation and policymaking-related topics.