Cari Dawson was a featured speaker on the "Utilizing Defenses in Major Substantive Areas Subject to Active Class Action Litigation" panel on Tuesday, October 28, 2:55pm-4:25pm, at this conference hosted by American Conference Institutes (ACI). This panel discussion addressed the current drivers behind increased class actions in certain industries, specific litigation issues that arise in areas experiencing a significant number of class actions, and effectively using powerful substantive defenses.
The 2nd Annual Defense Counsel Summit faculty guided attendees through every step of mounting a zealous defense, including tactics for early discovery, Daubert challenges, defenses against class certification and arguing the case at trial. Attendees at this conference received strategies on how to:
- Show that your adversary has not met proof burdens on "reliance" issue
- Counter voluminous discovery requests and use the discover process to obtain all relevant information and documents while still keeping it cost-effective for your client
- Mitigate the prejudice of plaintiff counsel's improper use of expert testimony at the class certification state
- Examine clauses that place your clients in the best (and worst) position to submit disputes to class arbitration
- Position your case in a way that ensures you can elect to negotiate a reasonable settlement before exorbitant fees are incurred
- Forego settlement and take the case to trial and favorable verdict
In addition, a special "View From the Bench" session led by renowned jurists with extensive experience in claims actions gave attendees a rare insider look at the evidence and arguments that turn cases one way or the other as they make critical determinations on crucial matters such as class certifications.
October 28-29, 2008
FireSky Resort & Spa / Scottsdale, AZ