- National defense counsel of record for an active pharmaceutical ingredient manufacturer in prescription opiate multidistrict litigations (MDLs) and individual cases throughout the U.S.
- Defense counsel of record for a luxury automobile manufacturer in the Volkswagen “clean diesel” MDLs pending in Texas.
- Won a challenge to personal jurisdiction in Texas state court on behalf of an Australian power company, resulting in the dismissal and voiding of a default judgment that awarded relief equivalent to approximately $200 million.
- Counsel of record for a major wireless telecommunications provider in obtaining a reversal by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals of a district court order denying a motion to dismiss product liability and negligence claims.
- Counsel of record for a major wireless telecommunications provider in obtaining a dismissal in federal district court of product liability and negligence claims, affirmed by the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented a national mortgage bank against corporate-raid claims seeking up to $25 million in damages, including winning a Daubert motion resulting in the complete exclusion of the plaintiff’s damages expert and a spoliation motion resulting in sanctions against the plaintiff for the destruction of text messages.
- Defended a homeopathic medicine manufacturer and distributor against a series of class action lawsuits in federal and state courts that alleged violations of state advertising laws.
- Secured summary judgment in a Florida state court, affirmed on appeal, awarding a commercial mortgage lender approximately $9 million on breach of contract claims and dismissal of counterclaims for breach of contract and mechanic’s liens.
- Obtained a grant of summary judgment resulting in the dismissal of an oil and gas company’s claims that it had excluded profitable acreage from a leasehold assignment.
- Represented a coal company being investigated for an explosion that killed 29 people.
- Defended an international printer manufacturer against fraud, breach of contract, and product liability claims, winning a motion to transfer venue from Texas to a California federal district court.
- Won an administrative appeal and Texas bench trial for a municipal utility district regarding its ability to issue bonds to improve a wastewater treatment plant.
- Obtained an order at the motion-to-dismiss stage in Texas state court dismissing with prejudice all claims against a wireless telecommunications provider based on its entitlement to immunity under the Texas Health & Safety Code from claims related to the provision of E911 services.
- Secured an approximately $1 million judgment in an action against a contractor for breach of contract, fraud, and violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices–Consumer Protection Act.
- Defended a Middle Eastern airline against a former employee’s claims for tortious interference with prospective relations, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and defamation.
- Advised a sovereign wealth fund on potential litigation and workout issues concerning real estate portfolios and investments located throughout the U.S.
Matthew Durfee is a member of Alston & Bird’s Litigation & Trial Practice Group who has substantial experience in federal and state courts throughout the U.S. Matt focuses his practice on high-stakes commercial litigation for clients in the manufacturing and telecommunications industries. He has defended numerous clients against complex product liability claims, including multiple high-profile class actions and multidistrict litigation in various jurisdictions. Matt also has significant experience representing clients from a wide array of other industries on diverse legal issues ranging from typical breach of contract, negligence, and fraud matters to large-scale government investigations and international disputes. Matt is recognized by The Best Lawyers in America© “Ones to Watch” for Commercial Litigation.
Matt is a member of the State Bar of Texas and is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts of Texas, the U.S. Supreme Court, and the Fifth and Sixth Circuit Courts of Appeals.
Matt earned his J.D. from Baylor University School of Law, where he graduated summa cum laude, was in the Order of the Barristers, was the executive editor of the Baylor Law Review, and earned the Outstanding First-Year Student Award. He earned his B.S., also summa cum laude, from North Dakota State University.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Baylor University (J.D., 2009)
- North Dakota State University (B.S., 2006)
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Dallas Regional Chamber Young Professionals