- As lead counsel to a global shipbuilder, tried two international arbitrations of contract claims involving a $3 billion contract and a $1.5 billion construction subcontract for warships; prevented the prime contractor from awarding the subcontract to the client’s competitor, and enabled the client to win the subcontract.
- As lead counsel to a U.S.-based shipbuilder, tried the two-week arbitration of over $70 million in contract claims against a multinational defense contractor, and separately tried a different arbitration of a $12 million contract claim filed against the same client by the same defense contractor.
- Tried to a jury a $100 million breach of contract case filed against an international trading and investment company by a former business partner; after a two-week trial, won a full defense verdict against the claim and won a counterclaim filed by the client under the same contract.
- As lead counsel, tried $50 million in breach of contract claims against the U.S. Department of State on behalf of a Panamanian real estate company in two separate week-long trials, and later briefed and argued the matter on appeal.
- Tried to a jury a $12 million defamation case filed by a former West Virginia gubernatorial candidate against his political party committee clients; won a full defense verdict rendered by the jury in the plaintiff’s own hometown, and later defeated a petition for appeal and a petition for certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Tried case-dispositive defenses to liability in a billion-dollar class action involving union retiree health care benefits on behalf of a global manufacturer of heavy equipment, and later briefed the matter on appeal.
- Tried, in a four-month bench trial, a multibillion-dollar natural resource damages action brought by the U.S. Department of Justice against a mining company for environmental restoration of the Coeur d’Alene Basin in Idaho.
- Tried a challenge to the validity of a nationwide consent decree, winning major modifications to the decree and protecting them on appeal.