- As lead counsel to a global shipbuilder, tried two international arbitrations of contract claims involving a $3 billion contract and a $1.5 billion construction subcontract for warships; prevented the prime contractor from awarding the subcontract to the client’s competitor, and enabled the client to win the subcontract.
- As lead counsel to a U.S.-based shipbuilder, tried the two-week arbitration of over $70 million in contract claims against a multinational defense contractor, and separately tried a different arbitration of a $12 million contract claim filed against the same client by the same defense contractor.
- Tried to a jury a $100 million breach of contract case filed against an international trading and investment company by a former business partner; after a two-week trial, won a full defense verdict against the claim and won a counterclaim filed by the client under the same contract.
- As lead counsel, tried $50 million in breach of contract claims against the U.S. Department of State on behalf of a Panamanian real estate company in two separate week-long trials, and later briefed and argued the matter on appeal.
- Tried case-dispositive defenses to liability in a billion-dollar class action involving union retiree health care benefits on behalf of a global manufacturer of heavy equipment, and later briefed the matter on appeal.
- Tried a challenge to the validity of a nationwide consent decree, winning major modifications to the decree and protecting them on appeal.
- Tried to a jury a $12 million defamation case filed by a former West Virginia gubernatorial candidate against his political party committee clients; won a full defense verdict rendered by the jury in the plaintiff’s own hometown, and later defeated a petition for appeal and a petition for certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Lead counsel to a health insurer in APA and contract litigation against the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services over its failure to make “risk corridor” reimbursement payments mandated by the Affordable Care Act.
- Represented a leading financial services company in a series of post-closing disputes arising from a $180 million asset acquisition.
- Lead counsel to more than 225 dialysis clinics against the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for years of underpayment for dialysis services provided to veterans pursuant to federal regulations and contracts, and reached a $538 million settlement on the eve of trial.