- Won a challenge to personal jurisdiction in Texas state court on behalf of an Australian power company, resulting in dismissal and voiding of a default judgment that awarded relief equivalent to approximately $200 million.
- Served as trial and appellate counsel for a major wireless telecommunications provider in federal court on an issue of first impression regarding 911 services liability. Obtained dismissal at the trial level and affirmance before the Fifth Circuit on the basis that the client was entitled to 911 service provider immunity.
- Represented a credit card network in one of the largest antitrust matters in history, resulting in a $2.85 billion settlement for the client.
- Represented pro bono a class of indigent Maryland citizens in an action to secure the timely resolution of their benefits applications.
- Defended a major financial services institution in a securities class action involving allegations of accounting fraud and seeking over $10 billion in damages.
- Represented the largest domestic distributor of premium beef in a bench trial involving allegations of breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented a Fortune 100 tech company in a two-month jury trial raising patent and contract issues.
- Represented a hedge fund in a dispute with a bankruptcy trustee raising issues of fraudulent conveyance.
- Represented a large health insurer in a putative class action purporting to encompass all members and providers concerning the payment of out-of-network benefits.
- Represented an educational institution in a post-verdict briefing raising novel questions concerning the Basic presumption of reliance.
- Represented a large oil company in an appeal before the Ninth Circuit raising issues of international comity, prudential exhaustion and forum non conveniens.
- Represented a small toy manufacturer in petitioning the U.S. Supreme Court for a review of questions involving trademark law.
- Represented an elected official in a merits briefing before the U.S. Supreme Court concerning questions involving the First Amendment.
- Phone: +1 214 922 3525
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
With Newman's reputation for defeating lawsuits unexpectedly early in the litigation process, often on novel legal grounds, clients unsurprisingly turn to him with their most challenging litigation. Clients often return for their non-litigation needs as well, seeking the same creativity and nuance as they navigate complex regulatory thickets or develop forward-looking compliance strategies.