- Counseling banks, non-bank lenders, loan servicers, payment processors, and related service providers with regard to state and federal regulation of consumer financial products and services, as well as regulations and guidance from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and FTC.
- Acting as dedicated outside counsel on secondment with the consumer banking arm of a global bank, working with the legal department as well as business operations divisions to advise on launching newly formed consumer lending and credit card products.
- Conducting 50-state surveys on behalf of state-chartered banks and loan servicers analyzing state laws on topics including loan disclosure requirements, usury and fee restrictions, credit reporting, debt collection, privacy and cyber security, E-SIGN/electronic signature requirements, elder abuse, military servicemember protections, unfair and deceptive acts and practices laws (UDAP/UDAAP), marketing and advertising restrictions, and other consumer protection laws.
- Leading a team charged with providing daily updates to lenders and loan servicers on compliance with evolving state and federal requirements related to the COVID-19 pandemic, particularly rules and guidance regarding loan forbearance, debt collection, and foreclosure/eviction moratoriums.
- Assisting credit card issuers and retail installment credit sellers in updating consumer-facing credit agreements and related documentation to ensure compliance with state and federal law.
- Advising banks and non-bank lenders and servicers on credit reporting compliance under the FCRA and CDIA/Metro2 guidance.
- Counseling an international payments processor and alternative financing company on establishing U.S. operations, advising on issues such as licensing and regulatory concerns, loan agreements and related documents, and bank partnerships.
- Assisting government-sponsored enterprises in refining uniform mortgage notes and security instruments to comply with state laws.
- Advising auto manufacturer financing divisions on consumer finance regulations including those pertaining to loan terms, fee restrictions, debt collection, and compliance with the Servicemembers’ Civil Relief Act.
- Counseling a payment processor in negotiation of a referral and network interface Agreement and advising FinTech companies on various regulatory issues.
- Conducting consumer finance regulatory due diligence as part of numerous merger and acquisition transactions.
Ross Speier is counsel in Alston & Bird’s Financial Services & Products Group. As a member of the Consumer Financial Services team, Ross counsels banks and financial services providers on federal and state banking laws, with a focus on credit products such as secured and unsecured loans, credit and debit cards, student and auto loans, and FinTech/eCommerce products. Ross advises lenders and servicers on compliance with consumer finance regulations including the Truth in Lending Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Electronic Fund Transfer Act, and UDAAP laws, as well as related rules and guidance issued by the CFPB, FTC, and state banking regulators. Ross has worked closely with financial institutions to develop policies and procedures, as well as consumer-facing agreements and communications, designed to ensure compliance with applicable law.
Additionally, Ross has guided clients through a variety of corporate transactions, and has advised public companies on securities regulations and corporate governance.
During law school, Ross was selected for a field placement with the SEC and served as a securities counsel extern for Coca-Cola, and also participated in Emory Law School’s Supreme Court Advocacy Program where he drafted an amicus brief to the U.S. Supreme Court which was cited by Justice Breyer.
Ross is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© “Ones to Watch” 2022 edition.
- Emory University (J.D., 2012)
- Tulane University (B.S., 2006)
- American Bar Association, Consumer Financial Services Committee, Fair Access to Services Subcommittee