- Co-chaired a three-week jury trial in an occupational benzene exposure case. Secured settlement for the client during trial after obtaining key evidentiary rulings on pretrial and trial motions.
- Co-chaired a trial resulting in a defense verdict for a client arising from a claim for prescriptive easement over the client’s property. Safeguarded defense verdict on appeal.
- Tried a breach of lease dispute on behalf of a produce distributor.
- Tried a landlord-tenant action, resulting in victory for the pro bono client.
- Trial team member in several large commercial litigation actions brought in state and federal courts in Arizona and California, including a number of jury trials.
- Defended an international appliance company in a wrongful death action in which an individual sustained massive second- and third-degree burns over 95 percent of his body. Secured a settlement for a complete dismissal of the action.
- Counsel to major national banks in numerous actions filed throughout California alleging false, unfair and fraudulent debt collections and business practices (FDCPA, Rosenthal Act, TILA, FCRA, ECOA, TCPA, 17200 and 17500 (UCL), CLRA, CCCRAA, etc.).
- Represents many banks, mortgage servicers and lenders in litigation involving wrongful foreclosure, the California Homeowner Bill of Rights (HBOR), HAMP, alleged RESPA violations, numerous state and federal statutory claims, including 17200 and 17500 (UCL), unfair business practices claims and assorted common law claims.
- Nationwide defense counsel to reverse mortgage lenders in reverse mortgage cases alleging numerous theories brought under varied state and federal laws.
- Defense of numerous consumer class actions involving allegations of fraud, unfair and unlawful business practices, false advertising, FCRA, CLRA, and other statutory and common law claims.
- Extensive appellate experience before the Ninth Circuit and California Courts of Appeals.
- Counsel to a California community bank in numerous matters ranging from business counseling and advice to defense of multimillion-dollar complex litigation.
- Prosecuted wrongful escheat cases on behalf of national and international clients seeking to recover millions from state entities.
- Represented a major multinational petroleum company in complex franchise disputes involving the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act. Defeated all franchisee motions for preliminary and injunctive relief at the district court and Ninth Circuit.
- Drafted motions obtaining dismissals of global product manufacturers from complex products liability and breach of warranty actions brought in California and Nevada.
- Obtained pleadings stage dismissals of numerous actions on behalf of many different clients after serving motions for sanctions in cases ranging from wrongful foreclosure to fraud to breach of warranty to strict products liability. Cases dismissed within 30–90 days of initial filing, before filing responsive pleadings.
- Represented a foreign sovereign in a dispute over the ownership of a famous French Impressionist painting.
- Counsel to a multinational Fortune 100 company in numerous strict products liability and toxic tort actions, including benzene exposure claims, with millions of dollars in alleged damages. Obtained dismissals for the client from several complex actions for no payment following the filing of motions for summary judgment.
- Represented a major insurance company in a federal court action involving the termination of field representative rights and intellectual property claims against a former field representative.
- Defended a book publisher in a defamation and invasion of privacy action seeking millions of dollars in damages. Negotiated a settlement on behalf of the client before a hearing on motion for summary judgment.
- Represented a fine art company in a $100 million copyright infringement lawsuit brought by various artists in federal court. Secured a settlement just before trial.
- Obtained terminating sanctions on behalf of a major multinational petroleum corporation in a large-scale, complex environmental litigation.
Elizabeth Sperling focuses her practice on providing counsel, advice and representation to clients in the areas of business litigation, financial services, products liability, toxic torts and real estate litigation. She has represented corporations, partnerships and business owners in a broad range of litigation matters involving class actions, business torts, false and unfair business practices and related consumer protection actions (FCRA, ECOA, TILA, CLRA), unfair debt collection practices (FDCPA, Rosenthal Act), and intellectual property litigation. Elizabeth has extensive experience representing financial services institutions such as mortgage servicers and reverse mortgage lenders in defense of foreclosure actions (wrongful foreclosure, violations of the California Homeowner Bill of Rights, HAMP). She is very experienced representing clients in class actions, products liability and complex toxic tort cases involving serious personal injuries and wrongful death claims. Elizabeth is experienced in all aspects of civil litigation in both state and federal courts in Arizona and California.
She is licensed to practice in all state and federal courts of California and Arizona, as well as the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Elizabeth has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Southern California Super Lawyers every year since 2009. Elizabeth is the co-chair of Alston & Bird’s California Diversity Committee.
- University of Arizona (J.D., 2002)
- Arizona State University (B.A., 1998)
- California State Bar Committee on Federal Courts
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- California Minority Counsel Program; 2017 Conference Planning Committee
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color
- Defense Research Institute (Products Law and Toxic Torts)
- South Central Scholars Program, which provides mentoring and scholarships to college and graduate students from South Central Los Angeles, mentor
- Arizona State University Los Angeles Leadership Council
- University of Arizona College of Law, Dean's Economic Council
- Downtown Los Angeles Rotary Club (LA5)
- Ark Theatre Company, a local nonprofit theater group, past president and chair
Alston & Bird
- California Diversity Committee, co-chair
- National Diversity Steering Committee
- Women of Color Committee
- Automotive Practice Team
- Hiring Committee
- Women's Initiative
- Associates Committee
- Alston & Bird Career Development Initiative Coach