Cari Dawson spoke on the panel "Managing Daubert Concerns During Certification: Strategically Utilizing Experts To Attack the Plaintiff’s Case and Undermine the Claim" on September 23, 2:15pm - 3:15pm, during this conference hosted by the American Conference Institute (ACI). Cari's panel addressed the following topics.
• What are the applicable rules of evidence during certification?
-Reassessing assumptions regarding whether or not Daubert and other rules of evidence that
apply during the certification hearing
• When does the Daubert analysis happen?
• Utilizing consultants and experts during class certification to bolster your case
-Exploring the use of law professors and other consultants to provide insight on certification
-Attacking the plaintiff ’s case by utilizing experts to undermine the science behind the claim
-Strategies for asserting decertification at the Daubert hearing
At the conference, class action defense litigators shared advanced strategies on how to minimize downstream exposure in this era of predatory class action litigation. They coverd the following topics.
- Considering the options for positioning your case for early disposal
- Arguing against class certification to undermine the plaintiff ’s case
- Preparing for the process of discovery and data management
- Balancing the cost of litigation with the option of settlement
September 23-24, 2009
The Ritz-Carlton / Phoenix, AZ