Class Action Litigation Matters
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court for the world’s leading beverage company—mooting the plaintiff’s pending motion for class certification—in a putative nationwide class action challenging the labeling of various 100% juice products.
- Achieved a favorable ruling on demurrer, including on preemption grounds, to a putative class action complaint challenging the labeling of a significant coconut water brand’s 100% coconut water product.
- Defended the world’s leading beverage company (and its subsidiary) in a putative class action alleging violations of state consumer protection statutes premised on FDA regulations concerning the labeling of various juice and smoothie products.
- Obtained dismissal of a putative class action in federal court, which was upheld on appeal by the Ninth Circuit, on the grounds that an excess insurance layer was not triggered in a coverage dispute arising from the alleged breach of fiduciary duty class claims brought against a bankrupt subprime mortgage company’s officers and directors.
- Defended a prominent ice cream brand against a putative class action involving “natural” labeling claims.
- Represented the individual directors and officers of an oil and gas company in a securities class action alleging Section 11 and Section 15 claims.
Complex Commercial Litigation Matters
- Represents a leading California-based investment fund as a corporate plaintiff in multiple litigations seeking damages in excess of $30 million against various defendants, including, among others, the architect of a Ponzi scheme, a fund administrator, and an auditor.
- Achieved a favorable settlement on behalf of a prominent medical practice and its minority shareholder in both derivative and direct lawsuits pending in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Represented the world’s leading beverage company as a non-party in numerous lawsuits alleging product liability claims from ingestion of energy drinks.
- Member of the litigation team securing a federal jury verdict for the world’s leading beverage company in a landmark advertising dispute over juice labeling and FDA regulations (after the case was remanded for trial to the Central District of California by the U.S. Supreme Court).
- Member of the trial team that obtained a defense verdict for a Fortune 500 client in Los Angeles Superior Court after a five-day jury trial on claims of discrimination and retaliation, then obtained an award of costs against the plaintiff and defeated the motion for a new trial.
- Obtained summary judgment for a Fortune 500 company in a federal lawsuit asserting claims based on alleged civil rights violations.
- Prevailed on a motion for partial summary judgment on behalf of an international transportation company in a fuel contract dispute.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice at the pleadings stage for a national insurance company in an action alleging interference with contractual relations and violations of California Business & Professions Code Section 17200.
- Defended a leading travel agency against claims arising from the alleged breach of an asset purchase agreement, achieving complete dismissal for waiver of costs on the eve of the plaintiff’s deposition.