The IP groups at Alston & Bird number over 180 attorneys, including more than 120 registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, making ours one of the largest intellectual property practices of any general practice firm in the United States. Our services include:
- Attorneys in our patent groups (Biotechnology, Mechanical, Chemical & Pharmaceutical, and Electronics & Computer Technology) file more than 1,200 patent applications in the United States each year. In addition, we regularly file over 650 foreign patent applications in more than 40 countries each year. Our IP experience includes patent preparation and prosecution in technologies such as genetic engineering, nanotechnology, chip and mask technology and telecommunications.
- We have one of the largest and deepest IP litigation practices, with jury and non-jury experience in U.S. patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, false advertising and anti-counterfeiting litigation. We also have access to Alston & Bird's substantial depth and expertise in related antitrust matters and extensive experience in coordinating multinational intellectual property litigation. Our IP litigators regularly appear in federal district courts nationwide and pre-eminent IP forums such as the U.S. International Trade Commission.
- Our IP and technology transactional attorneys have expertise in licensing, sponsorship, merchandising matters and information technology transactions, with a core of lawyers focused on emerging IP issues related to electronic commerce and the Internet.
- The global branding expertise of our trademark and copyright attorneys provides clearance, registration and portfolio management, both domestically and worldwide, for more than 24,000 active matters in more than 200 jurisdictions.
Our Experience with Japanese Companies
Our Intellectual Property group is versed in assisting our international-based clients with navigating the United States intellectual property system; from foreign patent filings, original applications, trademark protection services, IP due diligence related to mergers and acquisitions, and the navigation of patent litigation in a multitude of District Courts, as well as before the U.S. International Trade Commission (U.S.I.T.C.). One of our partners recently penned an article entitled "Engaging a Patent Troll in the United States" that was published in the Japanese magazine International Legal Strategies.
- Perform intellectual property counseling and strategic recommendations for a major Japanese glass and chemical manufacturer
- Recently completed, on behalf of a major Japanese building products manufacturer, a successful patent infringement litigation matter in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia. Nichiha USA, Inc. v. CertainTeed Corporation et al., (M.D. GA).
- Assisted a prominent Japanese university in establishing a technology transfer entity in the United States.
- Represent major Japanese fastener manufacturer in connection with patent counseling and prosecution, strategic portfolio management, and other IP matters
- Recently concluded an intellectual property transactional project for a major Japanese automobile manufacturer in the United States.