- Defended a leader in optical communications solutions for 5G networks and data centers in patent infringement actions involving distributed antenna systems (DAS) and small cell technology in the Northern District of California and Western District of Texas; prevailed in a motion for summary judgment that led to a favorable settlement.
- Defended the U.S. subsidiary of a German family-owned discount supermarket chain in a trademark infringement and unfair competition action involving the plaintiff’s alleged trademark for bakery products filed in the Central District of California.
- Defended one of the largest hearing aid manufacturers in the world in a trade secret misappropriation and unfair competition action involving hearing aid technology filed in the Central District of California; prevailed in a motion for summary judgment and obtained a judgment dismissing the action in full.
- Defended a leading Swiss luxury watchmaker in a trademark infringement and unfair competition action involving the plaintiff’s alleged trademark for watches filed in the Central District of California.
- Represented the leading manufacturer of mirrors for school buses in a patent infringement action related to the client’s patented backup camera technology against its closest competitor filed in the Southern District of New York.
- Defended a retailer of beauty products in patent infringement matters brought by non-practicing entities (NPEs) related to the client’s beauty products and website.
- Defended a top-10 U.S. retailer in patent and trademark infringement matters related to the client’s private label branded products and website.
- Represented a nutrition and wellness client in trademark actions to protect the client’s trademark and associated goodwill filed in the Southern and Central Districts of California.
- Defended a leader in mission critical communications solutions in a patent infringement action involving emergency telecommunications technology filed in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Defended one of the largest alarm transport and interactive service providers in a patent infringement matter involving the client’s home security networking technology in the District of Delaware.
Caleb Bean is a senior associate in Alston & Bird’s Intellectual Property Litigation Group. He focuses his practice on litigating patent, trademark, trade dress, trade secret, and licensing disputes in state and federal courts and before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC). He also represents clients in post-grant proceedings in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), including inter partes reviews, post grant reviews, ex parte re-examinations, and covered business method proceedings.
One of Caleb’s focal points is the development and execution of worldwide patent and trademark protection strategies. He counsels clients on potential clearance issues, including freedom to operate and right to practice analyses, and conducts and handles responses to due diligence pertaining to investments and acquisitions. Caleb also assists clients with the prosecution of patent and trademark applications before the USPTO.
While in law school, Caleb served as an intellectual property extern with the U.S. Navy Office of the General Counsel, Naval Surface Warfare Center. During his externship, he helped inventors identify patentable elements of their inventions and prepared and prosecuted patent applications.
- Indiana University (法學博士, 2014)
- Purdue University (B.S., 2011)
- U.S. District Courts for the Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit