Alston & Bird served as a Bronze Sponsor of this event hosted by Information Management Network (IMN). Rosemarie Thurston spoke on the panel "Getting Into The Non-Traded REIT Industry - Is Now A Good Time To Enter?" on January 14, 5:05pm - 5:50pm. Her panel explored the following topics.
- What would it take for a new Non-Traded REIT to work in the current economic climate?
- Non-Traded REITs vs. Private REITs & Publicly-Traded REITs: Examining their pros and cons today
- What is involved in sponsoring a Non-Traded REIT? Key points to consider before taking the plunge
- Examining the barriers to Non-Traded REIT market entry: Cost and sales channels
- Product distribution: The advantages and disadvantages of buying vs. building the sales network
- Pros & cons between a captive Broker/Dealer and Managing Broker/Dealer
- Key steps to structure a wholesaling group
- Strategic product positioning: Crucial points to consider
- Examining the competition: What are the alternative yield plays? What lessons can be learned from the experiences of established REITs, and are they transferable in today’s market conditions?
Additionally, Sean Reynolds spoke on the panel "Joint Venture Workouts: Getting Through Stressed Deals" on January 14, 2:30pm - 3:15pm. His panel explored the following topics.
- Operating vs. financial partner defaults
- Which JV provisions are working and which aren’t?
- Changing partnership terms
- Want to back out? What are your options?
- How to infuse capital into deals
- JV workout case study examples: Learning from the good, the bad and the really ugly
Montage Resort & Spa / Laguna Beach, CA