Alston & Bird hosted this webinar program on December 4, 2014. Advances in technology, efforts to address public policy objectives, and evolving customer demands are leading to fundamental changes in the electricity industry. This was the first in a series of webinars where industry leaders and our own experts provided perspectives on key aspects of this transformation. Our first webinar considered how the proliferation of diverse technologies will shape the electricity grid of the future and the market, operational and regulatory challenges that will need to be addressed to get there. In particular, the panel discussed:
- How are public policy objectives, customer demands and technology trends driving the mix of resources that will characterize the future electric system?
- How should the electricity grid, at both the transmission and distribution levels, be designed and operated to reliability integrate new technologies, achieve public policy objectives and meet customer demands?
- What changes to existing rate structures and other regulatory mechanisms should be made to promote the ideal electricity grid of the future?
- What other uncertainties or obstacles are there to realizing the electricity grid of the future, and how should they be addressed?
- Lorenzo Kristov, PhD, Principal, Market and Infrastructure Policy, California Independent System Operator
- Rohan Ma, Manager, Market Integration, SolarCity
- David Revelt, Counsel, Alston & Bird and former Director of Development, Solar Electric Solutions