The Living the Values Award is an opportunity for Coca-Cola’s Legal Division to recognize a firm’s commitment and meaningful investment in the ideas and programming that advance diversity and inclusion within Coca-Cola’s major law firms. Firm responses are evaluated against best-in-class practices in the following areas:
- commitment of the firm's senior management to diversity with established systems for measuring progress and accountability;
- representation of minorities and women in the firm generally and in the firm leadership;
- success in hiring, development, promotion and retention of minority and women associates within the firm;
- creative partnering arrangements with minority and women-owned firms; and
- rigor in firm-wide diversity programming such that diversity, as a goal, enjoys firm-wide ownership and participation.
Alston & Bird Diversity Partner John Latham accepted the award on behalf of the firm at a celebratory reception and dinner held on January 10, 2013, hosted by The Coca-Cola Company. In accepting the award, Latham acknowledged that, “while we have worked with diligence and focus to create an environment where all attorneys and staff feel valued, we realize this is not the end of our journey, and that there is still much to be done.”
“We are pleased to be recognized for our diversity commitment, but our greatest satisfaction comes from the success we see in lawyers who are given the opportunity to succeed.”
In 2010, Alston & Bird was one of three law firms recognized by The Coca-Cola Company at the third annual “Living the Values” awards dinner, receiving an honorable mention for inclusion of women and people of diverse backgrounds and demonstrating a sustained commitment to furthering diversity in the legal profession.