- Counsel for the respondent ESAB Group, Inc. in an ITC investigation (337-TA-686) concerning welding wire technology. Obtained an Initial Determination of no violation for the client.
- Counsel for a leading marine products manufacturer, Navico Inc., in an ITC investigation (337-TA-738) involving marine autopilots equipped with GPS.
- Has tried cases in various district courts and has substantively participated in or managed numerous litigations in various states resulting in favorable settlements on behalf of firm clients.
- Involved in numerous appeals at the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, including the presentation of a successful argument on behalf of all defendants involving the on-sale bar in the leading case of Vanmoor v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 201 F.3d 1363 (Fed. Cir. 2000).
Blas Arroyo is a senior counsel with Alston & Bird's Intellectual Property Litigation Group. His practice has a particular emphasis on contested matters involving patent rights.
Blas has been engaged in the field of intellectual property litigation for more than 30 years. His experience includes trials in various federal courts throughout the United States, as well as before the International Trade Commission (ITC) in Section 337 Investigations, involving issues of patent validity, infringement and enforceability, as well as related antitrust and unfair competition claims in a wide variety of technical fields. Blas has also been involved in numerous appeals to the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
Blas has been actively involved in various inter partes matters pertaining to intellectual property rights before the United States Patent and Trademark Office Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences, where he is admitted to practice. He has also directed and coordinated contested proceedings pertaining to patent rights outside of the United States, including numerous opposition proceedings and related matters in the European Patent Office, as well as other patent offices throughout the world.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- North Carolina
- Washington and Lee University (J.D., 1981)
- North Carolina State University (B.S., 1978)
- Blas is listed in The Best Lawyers in America© since 2012, Super Lawyers from 2007-2008 and 2012, and was selected to Business North Carolina’s “Legal Elite.” Best Lawyers® named Blas “2013 Charlotte Lawyer of the Year” in the litigation-intellectual property area and 2017 Patent Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" in Charlotte. Blas was also selected as an inaugural “IP Star” by Managing IP (2013).
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), U.S. Executive Committee
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont, board of directors
- Washington & Lee University Law Council
- NC State University Endowment Board