- Client attorney and lead outside counsel for one of the country’s largest privately owned national industrial development companies. In addition to handling various real estate transactions for this client, he also coordinates legal services provided by the various practice groups at Alston & Bird servicing this client. Jay recently led a team in this client’s programmatic joint venture program with a major state pension fund involving the formation of four joint ventures for the investment, financing and development of more than $500 million of industrial properties across the country.
- Represents a number of multifamily developers and investors, including two of the country’s leading multifamily development companies. Jay and his team have been involved in a multitude of multifamily development projects, typically involving zoning, environmental, tax incentive, ground lease and mixed-use components that require complicated reciprocal easement agreements for shared parking decks, common areas and infrastructure. He also represents institutional clients as investors in developed multifamily projects, both one-off and portfolio transactions.
- Represents pension funds and their advisors in their acquisition, leasing and disposition of all property types. Jay represents one of the largest pension fund advisors in its acquisitions, leasing and dispositions nationally. He recently handled a $750 million disposition of a portfolio of commercial real estate located in 10 cities across the U.S. for this pension fund advisor. Jay’s experience in this regard includes analyzing and counseling on the various UBTI and ERISA issues facing pension fund investments in the real estate asset class.
- Represents a number of industrial distribution facilities developers in all aspects of their transactions. Jay is involved in these developments from cradle-to-grave, including land acquisitions, assemblages, development, redevelopment, leasing, protective covenants, financing, joint ventures and sales.
- Represented the developer of a 1.5 million sq. ft. LEED Gold certified industrial distribution center build-to-suit lease with General Mills. His team was involved in all aspects of this development from land acquisition, rezoning, securing state economic incentives and grants, entering into a bond/sale-leaseback financing with the local economic development authority, negotiating a railroad sidetrack agreement, creating reciprocal easement agreements, and finally negotiating a joint venture to bring in a 75 percent equity investor after completion; and he negotiated a loan secured by the JV’s leasehold interest.
- Phone: +1 404 881 7896
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jay Farris concentrates his nationwide practice on commercial real estate investment, joint ventures, borrower financing, development, and leasing involving all major property types. He represents institutional investors (including REITs and pension funds), well-capitalized developers, and corporate owners. Jay has extensive experience representing developers and owners of industrial distribution facilities, multifamily projects, office properties, and mixed-use developments.
Jay is featured as one of the leading Georgia lawyers for real estate in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, listed for commercial real estate in The Best Lawyers in America©, and listed in Super Lawyers magazine. Jay has been identified by his clients as part of a select group of 148 attorneys nationally—“2008 BTI Client Service All-Stars”—that delivers the best client service to Fortune 1000 clients.
Jay received a B.A., with high honors, in 1984 from Wesleyan University (CT). Prior to entering law school, Jay worked for a real estate development company in Raleigh, NC. He received his J.D., with honors, in 1989 from the University of North Carolina School of Law, where he received the Order of the Coif and served on the North Carolina Law Review.
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (J.D., 1989)
- Wesleyan University (B.A., 1984)
- Pension Real Estate Association (PREA), Governmental Affairs Committee
- State Bar of Georgia, Real Property Law Section
- Atlanta Bar Association