- Merial Inc., et al. v. Ceva U.S. Holdings Inc., et al., No. 16-cv-171 (D. Del.); represents plaintiff MiMedx in a patent infringement lawsuit concerning an animal vaccine.
- Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation v. MiMedx Group Inc., IPR2015-00664; represented patent owner MiMedx in an inter partes review concerning medical tissue grafts.
- MiMedx Group Inc. v. Tissue Transplant Technology Ltd., et al., No. 5:14-cv-00719 (W.D. Tex.); represents plaintiff MiMedx in a patent infringement lawsuit concerning medical tissue grafts.
- Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation v. MiMedx Group Inc., IPR2015-00669; represented patent owner MiMedx in an inter partes review concerning medical tissue grafts; petition denied pre-institution.
- Merial Inc., et al v. Ceva Santé Animale SA, et al., No. 3:15-cv-00039 and 3:15-cv-00040 (M.D. Ga.); represents plaintiff Merial in patent infringement, breach of contract and business torts litigation against competitors in the animal health field.
- Biomune Company v. Merial Limited, et al., No. 2:14-cv-02567 (D. Kan.); defending a declaratory judgment action regarding patent infringement concerning animal vaccines.
- MiMedx Group Inc. v. Tissue Transplant Technology Ltd., et al., No. 5:14-cv-719 (W.D. Tex.); representing the plaintiff in a patent infringement lawsuit concerning tissue grafting technology.
- Perrigo Company, et al. v. Merial Inc., et al., No. 8:14-cv-00403 (D. Neb.); Perrigo Company, et al. v. Merial Inc., et al., No. 1:15-cv-3674 (N.D. Ga.); Merial Inc., et al. v. Perrigo Company, et al., No. 1:15-cv-00013, (N.D. Ga.); litigated a breach of contract case based on a prior settlement of patent infringement litigation.
- MiMedx Group Inc. v. Liventa Bioscience Inc., et al., No. 1:14-cv-01178 (N.D. Ga.); representing the plaintiff in a patent infringement lawsuit regarding tissue grafting technology.
- Merial Inc. v. Elanco Animal Health, No. 3:14-cv-00038 (M.D. Ga.); representing Merial as declaratory judgment plaintiff in a false advertising Lanham Act case.
- Aura Technologies LLC v. Skechers USA Inc., No. 1:14-cv-00929 (S.D.N.Y.), IPR2014-00955 (USPTO); represented defendant Skechers against claims of patent infringement related to footwear design and as inter partes review petitioner.
- Kroy IP Holdings LLC v. AutoZone Inc., et al., No. 2:13-cv-00888 (E.D. Tex.); represented three defendants against claims of patent infringement related to an online rewards program.
- Certain Reduced Folate Nutraceutical Products and L-Methylfolate Raw Ingredients Used Therein, ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-857; counsel for complainant Merck & Cie in an investigation involving folate nutraceutical products.
- Merial Ltd., et al. v. Ceva Animal Health LLC, et al., No. 3:12-cv-00154 (M.D. Ga.); represented Merial as plaintiff in a patent infringement case against a French competitor over flea and tick medicine.
- Merial Ltd., et al. v. Velcera Inc., et al., No. 3:12-cv-00075 (M.D. Ga.); represented Merial as plaintiff in a patent infringement case over flea and tick medicine for cats and dogs; secured preliminary injunction for Merial to prevent sale and distribution of a competing flea and tick product.
- CyberFone Systems LLC v. Atlantic Broadband Finance LLC, et al., No. 1:12-cv-00107 (D. Del.); Cyberfone Systems LLC v. Knology Inc., No. 1:12-cv-00116 (D. Del.); represented defendant Knology in patent infringement cases concerning data processing technology, cable systems and video-on-demand services.
- In re Vehicle Tracking and Security System (’844) Patent Litigation, MDL No. 11-2249 (D. Minn.); defended UPS and The Coca-Cola Company against allegations of patent infringement related to GPS and fleet management.
- Helferich Patent Licensing LLC v. Nokia Corp., et al., No. 1:11-cv-04681 (N.D. Ill.); represented defendant Nokia in a patent infringement lawsuit concerning SMS and MMS text messaging.
- BASF Agro B.V., et al. v. Cheminova Inc., No. 1:10-cv-00274 (M.D.N.C.); represented the plaintiff in a patent infringement action involving chemical manufacturing for animal health products.
- BASF Agro B.V. v. CIPLA Limited, No. 3:07-cv-00125 (M.D. Ga.); represented plaintiff Merial in a civil contempt proceeding involving a flea and tick product for dogs and cats; contempt judgment against foreign manufacturer and competitors affirmed at the Federal Circuit.
- Certain Electronic Paper Towel Dispensing Devices and Components Thereof, ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-718; represented complainant Georgia-Pacific in an investigation involving a static grounding feature of paper towel dispensers.
- DownUnder Wireless LLC v. HTC Corp., No. 2:09-cv-00206 (E.D. Tex.); represented defendant Nokia in a multidefendant patent infringement case concerning mobile phone antenna placement.
- Porex Corporation v. MicroPore Plastics Inc., No. 05-cv-11563-1 (DeKalb County Superior Court); represented plaintiff Porex in a trade secret case concerning porous plastic manufacturing.
- Activision Publishing Inc. v. Gibson Guitar Corporation, No. 2:08-cv-01653 (C.D. Cal.); represented Gibson Guitar in patent infringement claims relating to the Guitar Hero series of video games.
- Intervet Inc. v. Merial Limited, No. 5-cv-00887 (D. Del.); represented Merial in defense of a patent infringement suit over an animal vaccine.
- Intervet Inc. v. Merial Limited, No. 1:06-cv-00658 (D.D.C.); represented Merial as a declaratory judgment defendant in a patent infringement case involving a vaccine for swine disease.
- ArrivalStar S.A. v. Shipmatrix Inc., et al., No. 2:07-cv-00415 (W.D. Pa.); represented defendant UPS in a patent infringement case involving vehicle tracking systems and delivery notifications.
- Ronald A. Katz Technology Licensing L.P. v. Time Warner Cable Inc., No. 1:06-cv-00546 (D. Del.) and In re Katz Interactive Call Processing Patent Litigation, No. 2:07-ML-01816 (C.D. Cal.); represented several defendants in multidistrict patent litigation concerning call processing systems.
Matthew Howell is a partner with Alston & Bird’s Intellectual Property Litigation Team and focuses his practice on all areas of intellectual property litigation and counseling, with an emphasis on patent litigation and chemical, biological and pharmaceutical arts. Matthew has litigated patents in a wide variety of technologies, including e-commerce and software applications, computer telephony integration, cable modems and set-top boxes, footwear, logistics systems, video games, check processing systems and paper towel dispensers.
Matthew has represented clients in federal and state courts across the country and before the International Trade Commission, Federal Circuit and Patent Trial and Appeals Board. He has significant experience with both enforcing and defending his clients’ intellectual property rights.
Matthew also has a robust pro bono practice, working closely with organizations such as the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, Georgia Legal Services Program, Pro Bono Partnership of Atlanta and other pro bono clients. He currently serves on Alston & Bird’s Pro Bono Committee.
In 2003, Matthew received his B.A. in physics from Washington University in St. Louis, and in 2007, he received his J.D. from Duke University School of Law. While at Duke, Matthew was part of a team of Duke Law students who successfully briefed and argued a habeas corpus case, Lyons v. Weisner, in the Fourth Circuit.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Duke University (J.D., 2007)
- Washington University in St. Louis (B.A., 2003)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas