- Counsel to Navicent Health Inc. in its $1+ billion member substitution with Atrium Health Inc.
- Counsel to Avanos Medical (formerly Halyard Health Inc.) in its $710 million sale of its surgical and infection prevention business to Owens & Minor (OMI), and in its $174 million purchase of private-equity backed CORPAK Medsystems Inc.
- Counsel to Memorial Health University Medical Center in its $700+ million sale transaction with Hospital Corporation of America (HCA).
- Counsel to an independent board committee of Mayo Clinic Health System in Waycross, Georgia, in a simultaneous unwind with Mayo Clinic and sale transaction with Hospital Corporation of America (HCA).
- Counsel to First Cash Financial Services Inc. (FC) in its $2.7 billion merger of equals with Cash America International Inc. (CAI) and listing on the NYSE.
- Counsel to Tenet Healthcare Corporation (THC) in its $575 million sale to WellStar Health System of Atlanta-area hospitals Atlanta Medical Center, North Fulton Hospital, Spalding Regional Hospital, and Sylvan Grove Hospital, and related physician clinics.
- Counsel to The Schumacher Group, a leading provider of outsourced emergency and hospital medicine clinical staffing and other health care advisory services, in a recapitalization with Onex Corporation (TSX:OCX).
- Counsel to Avanos Medical (formerly Halyard Health Inc.) in its $1.7 billion tax-free spinoff from Kimberly-Clark Corporation.
- Counsel to Harden Healthcare Holdings Inc., a portfolio company of Capstar Partners and KKR, in a tax-free merger with Gentiva Health Services Inc. (GTIV) valued at $410 million and related spinoff of Harden’s long-term care business to its shareholders.
- Counsel to Ambulatory Services of America Inc., a portfolio company of Lindsay Goldberg and MedCare Investment Funds, in the sale of its dialysis business to U.S. Renal Care Inc., a portfolio company of Leonard Green & Partners, and related sale of ASA’s radiation oncology business to Vantage Oncology LLC, a portfolio company of Oak Hill Capital Partners.
- Counsel to TechHealth Inc., a leading provider of workers’ compensation and occupational health, in its sale to One Call Care Management Inc., a portfolio company of Odyssey Investment Partners.
- Counsel to PSS World Medical (PSSI) in its $2.1 billion sale to McKesson Corporation (MCK).
- Counsel to High Point Regional Health System in a merger with University of North Carolina Health Care System.
- Counsel to Getinge AB in numerous acquisitions, including a $276 million acquisition of the Therapeutic Support Systems division from Kinetic Care Concepts, a $750 million acquisition of the cardiac and vascular surgery division of Boston Scientific, an $860 million tender offer purchase of Datascope (DSCP), a U.S. publicly traded cardiovascular device company, and a $680 million acquisition of Atrium Medical, a privately held cardiovascular device company.
- Counsel to Emory Healthcare in a complex strategic partnership with Saint Joseph’s Health System.
- Counsel to a private equity sponsor in the purchase of a Florida-based pediatric company that provides alternative-site services to children with complex, long-term medical challenges and a New Jersey-based company that provides day health services for the elderly and disabled.
- Counsel to United Health (UNH) in the acquisition of a primary care independent practice association in California and several follow-on acquisitions.
- Counsel to Allion Healthcare (ALLI), a specialty pharmacy distribution company in New York, in a $300 million going-private transaction with a private equity sponsor.
- Counsel to the Scapa Group (LON: SCPA), a global industrial materials firm based in the United Kingdom, in the acquisition of Webtec Converting Inc., a Knoxville-based, privately held medical tape and related product manufacturer.
- Counsel to several Nashville-based diversified ancillary health care provider companies in numerous formation, financing, acquisition, and restructuring transactions.
- Counsel to Tenet Healthcare Corporation (THC) in the disposition of a health care system to the University of Southern California.
- Counsel to Accredo Health (ACDO), specialty pharmacy company, in initial and follow-on public offerings, numerous acquisitions throughout the U.S., governance matters, and eventual sale for $2.5 billion.
- Company counsel in initial and follow-on public offerings of LHC Group (LHCG), a home health care company based in Louisiana.
- Counsel to Renal Care Group (RCI), a Nashville-based dialysis chain, in a unique roll-up formation, initial and follow-on offerings, numerous acquisitions throughout the U.S., governance matters, and eventual sale for $4 billion.
- Underwriter counsel in initial and follow-on public offerings of Allion Healthcare (ALLI), a specialty pharmacy company in New York.
- Counsel to Emory Healthcare in a hospital joint venture with Hospital Corporation of America (HCA).
- Counsel to Tenet Healthcare Corporation (THC) in the disposition of a network of hospitals in New Orleans.
Steve Pottle represents clients in a wide range of complex corporate and securities matters, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, public and private securities offerings, joint ventures, restructurings, spinoffs, and formation transactions. He represents a variety of business organizations (public, private, not-for-profit, domestic, and foreign), their boards and financial sponsors and advisors in numerous industries. He has counseled multibillion-dollar international companies, as well as Fortune 100 corporations.
Steve’s leadership positions with the firm have included chair of the Health Care Group, co-chair of the Technology Group, chair of the Life Sciences Task Force, and founding member of the Corporate Health Care practice area.
He is listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America©, “Top Legal Deal Makers” in Atlanta Business Chronicle, Super Lawyers magazine, Who's Who Legal, and the Guide to Leading Healthcare Lawyers–U.S. Steve is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association.
While at Vanderbilt University School of Law, Steve was a member of the Vanderbilt Law Review. Before law school, he completed the CPA exam and was a professional accountant with Ernst & Whinney (now Ernst & Young). While at the University of Washington, he also attended foreign study programs in Tokyo and London.
- Vanderbilt University (J.D., 1987)
- University of Washington (B.A., 1983)