- Obtained a finding of unlawful expropriation in a $1.2 billion ICSID arbitration on behalf of a Canadian mining company against Venezuela following the nationalization of the company’s mining investments. The case was one of the largest investment treaty cases ever filed.
- Obtained a partial award in favor of one of the world’s largest energy companies and its downstream subsidiary in an ICC arbitration brought by Venezuela’s state-owned energy company.
- Obtained a decision of the U.S. Supreme Court reinstating his client’s award against Argentina involving a breach of a bilateral investment treaty.
- Obtained a decision holding that Venezuela unlawfully expropriated the oil investments of one of the world’s largest energy companies.
- Obtained a decision holding that Ecuador unlawfully expropriated the investments of a U.S. retailer following Ecuador’s imposition of a 99% tax on its revenues.
- Obtained an award in favor of an international energy company in an ICSID arbitration against Argentina involving violation of the France–Argentina bilateral investment treaty.
- Represented Lithuania in an ICSID arbitration involving concession claims.
- Phone: +1 212 210 9584
- Other Phone: +1 202 239 3584
- Email: email@example.com
With 20 years of experience litigating and arbitrating commercial, financial, and treaty-based disputes, Alex brings a wealth of knowledge to clients facing any variety of dispute worldwide. Fluent in six languages, he also advocates for clients in disputes involving sovereigns and frequently handles multijurisdictional cases involving securities, banking, antitrust, and insurance.