California Employee Privacy Notice (Applies to California Residents)
At Alston & Bird LLP, (“Alston & Bird,” “Firm,” “we,” “us,” “our”) we are mindful of our responsibilities under the California Consumer Privacy Act when we handle the personal information of our job applicants, employees, partners, officers, or contractors who are residents of California (collectively, “you” or “Employee”). This Notice describes our practices regarding the collection, use, transfer, disclosure and other handling of your personal information where you are employed or contracted by us. (For convenience, we may This Privacy Notice may be updated from time to time to reflect changes in our personal information practices, and we will update the firm manual (or at such other location as we may designate) to notify you of any significant changes.
If you have a disability that prevents you from accessing this notice, you may access this notice in an alternative format by contacting our Human Resources Department at 404-881-7200.
- Information We Collect and Use
The Firm collects personal information about its Employees. This personal information helps the Firm to conduct its operations and manage its workforce.
i. Categories of Personal Information
We process the below categories of data:
ii. Purposes for Which These Categories of Information are Collected
We collect, use, transfer, or disclose each of the above categories of personal information, subject to applicable law, for the purposes of:
- Audits and reporting relating to particular transactions and interactions, including online interactions, you may have with us or others on our behalf;
- Detecting and protecting against security incidents, and malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecuting the same;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors in our systems;
- Short-term, transient use;
- Providing services on our behalf or on behalf of another, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, fulfilling transactions, verifying identity information, processing payments, and other services, including to:
- Services in connection with our employment or contracting of you. These generally include recruiting and personnel administration; performance appraisals; training and professional development; promotions and succession planning; managing salary and other compensation or awards; managing healthcare and insurance; providing pensions and/or retirement accounts or benefits; providing access to facilities; managing disciplinary matters, grievances and terminations; making travel arrangements; and creating directories.
- Comply with our legal obligations as your employer. We use personal data to comply with the obligations imposed on us by applicable law. These obligations can include income tax and national insurance deductions; preventing and/or remediating conflicts of interest; recordkeeping and reporting obligations; equal opportunity compliance; managing health and safety matters; complying with requests or investigations or governmental or professional bodies; responding to legal process; preventing illegal or unethical conduct in the conduct of the Firm’s business; protecting the health and safety of Employees and others; and safeguarding and maintaining the security of our IT systems and infrastructure.
- Fulfill other business interests. Interests we pursue generally include: marketing our services to clients; providing publicly-available attorney information on our website; facilitating communication with you; ensuring compliance with applicable law and Firm policy; ensuring business continuity; operating, managing, and securing IT systems; internal and external reporting; assessing and improving our services; managing and allocating Firm assets and human resources; strategic planning; maintaining audit trails and conducting internal audits and investigations; maintaining business records; budgeting, financial management and reporting; protecting the Firm, our workforce, and the public against injury, theft, legal liability, fraud or abuse; and managing mergers, acquisitions, sales, re-organizations or disposals and integration with purchasers.
- Conducting internal research to develop and demonstrate technology; and
- Conducting activity to verify, enhance, and maintain the quality or safety of services or devices which we may own, control, or provide.
- Monitoring Employees. In accordance with applicable laws, we may monitor the use of Firm information technology and communications systems and the information they contain, including traffic and usage data, for purposes that may include systems maintenance, security, compliance with legal requirements and implementation of internal policies and procedures.
- Providing disability, illness, and accident benefits. We may collect certain types of health/medical information in order to accommodate a disability or illness and to provide benefits. We may also collect health, safety and accident information.
- Complying with Diversity and Anti-Discrimination policies and laws. Where required or permitted by law, Alston & Bird may collect diversity-related information (such as gender, race, ethnicity, or religious affiliation) in order to monitor compliance with legal obligations and internal policies relating to diversity and anti-discrimination.
- Your Obligations
- How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, or if you would like us to update information we have about you or your preferences, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This effective date of this Notice is January 1, 2020.