In the last 10 years, school construction in the United States has been one of the most active areas of infrastructure construction. Alston & Bird lawyers have an extraordinary amount of experience with school construction, having represented universities, colleges and K-12 school districts, as well as construction managers and contractors who focus on this industry. One of the firm’s partner is a co-author of the book School Siting and Construction In California, published by the Salano Press. This focused experience is particularly helpful to clients given the special rules that govern school construction. Listed below are some of the matters that reflect Alston & Bird’s school construction experience.
- Represented a foundation in the construction of a research and technology park at Auburn University.
- Represented the general contractor in the development of research centers, laboratories and bioengineering/biosciences facilities at Emory, Clark Atlanta, Georgia Tech and Georgia State Universities.
- Represented a client through contract negotiations for the construction of married housing units for Georgia State University.
- Represented a client through contract negotiations for the Viral Immunology Lab and a parking deck on Decatur Street at Georgia State University.
- Represented architects in negotiating the design agreement with Cornell University for the Milstein Hall School of Architecture building.
- Represented George Washington University in developing its construction contract forms and procedures for capital and development projects.
- Represented Emory University in connection with its library expansion.
- Represented nursing schools at Emory University and Georgia Southern University.
- Counseled a client with respect to construction of student centers at the University of Florida and the University of South Florida.
- Provided advice regarding the development of medical centers at Emory University and the Medical College of Georgia.
- Provided counseling relating to the construction of The Jack S. Blanton Museum of Art on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin.
- Represented the general contractor in the construction of additions to football and basketball stadiums at the University of Georgia, the University of Arkansas, Louisiana State University, the University of South Carolina, Clemson University, the University of Nevada, the University of Mississippi and Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Represented the general contractor in the development of the Children's Medical Center on the campus of the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta.
- Represented a contractor in connection with claims against the University of South Carolina arising out of construction and expansion of the Littlejohn Arena.
- Claims arising out of the construction of a biology laboratory for Clark Atlanta University.
- Represented a leading U.S. research university in a seven-party multijurisdictional litigation involving $20 million in design and construction defects and related claims.
- Represented the general contractor in connection with claims arising out of the construction of a $40 million intramural complex at UC San Diego.
- Represent the second largest K-12 school district in the country in connection with its $3 billion construction bond program. Representation includes both counseling and litigation/arbitration, including the defense of claims arising out of school projects (e.g., the defense of claims arising out of construction of $100 million high school project).
- In separate matters, successfully resolved several “termination for default” and associated damage claims asserted by California school districts against construction management firms.
- Achieved a defense award on behalf of the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) in connection with a two-week arbitration of a contractor's delay and disruption claim arising from the construction of a middle school.
- Represented LAUSD in connection with a lengthy dispute with a general contractor, numerous sureties, a large financial institution and various construction trade unions involving approximately 30 construction contracts and over $10 million in total claims related to numerous district projects resulting in a favorable global settlement.
- Represented a major research university located in Atlanta in multijurisdictional seven-party litigation involving water intrusion and other defects in new multibuilding residential campus.
- Represented LAUSD in connection with a $5 million delay and disruption claim asserted by a general contractor and an electrical contractor on a pass-through basis related to the construction of a primary center, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Represented LAUSD in connection with a $2 million claim for additional compensation related to alleged additional services asserted by a project architect in connection with the construction of an elementary school, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Represented LAUSD in connection with a multimillion dollar additional compensation claim asserted by a contractor and surety in connection with the construction of a middle school, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Represented a major research university in Atlanta in a dispute with an architect relating to a new performing arts center.