Mergers & Acquisitions
Alston & Bird M&A attorneys have extensive experience advising clients engaged in a full range of domestic and cross-border public and private transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures, mergers, leveraged buyouts, going-private transactions, strategic alliances and joint ventures. We have developed significant industry-specific knowledge in many cutting-edge industries, including:
- consumer products and services;
- financial services;
- health care; and
- technology and telecommunications
Our M&A practice is consistently among the most active in the nation.
- Top 25 “M&A Advisers in Announced Deals with a Value of $100 Million or More,” based on number of deals in 2022. (The Deal)
- Ranked in the top 15, based on number of deals, in the M&A category “US Middle Market Announced Deals,” in 2022. (FactSet)
- Ranked #6 among U.S. law firms representing financial advisors in M&A activity for 2022. (Corporate Control Alert)
- Nationally ranked in Tier 1 for Mergers & Acquisitions Law since 2013. (U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”)
Bringing Value to Our Clients
We operate based on two fundamental principles: first, that a client hires us to be facilitators, not roadblocks; and second, that we are there to protect the value of our client’s deal. We focus on our client’s business and long-term objectives and ascertain the elements of value in the deal for our client. We take a fully integrated approach to assessing the risks that affect value, negotiate to minimize those risks and structure the transaction so that the objectives are accomplished.
- Represented Italian-based Ali Holding S.r.l., one of the largest and most diversified global leaders in the foodservice equipment industry, in its $3.5 billion acquisition of Welbilt Inc., a leading global supplier of commercial foodservice equipment and the related sale of Welbilt’s Manitowoc Ice business to an affiliate of Pentair plc, a global water treatment and solutions company for $1.6 billion.
- Represented Architectural Surfaces Group LLC in its acquisition of DaVinci Marble Inc., a California-based building materials distributor.
- Represented Builders FirstSource, a leading manufacturer and distributor of building products to professional homebuilders, in its acquisitions of the Arizona businesses of Pima Door & Supply, Inc., Sunrise Carpentry, Inc., Valley Truss Company, Texas Panel Truss, East Panel Truss, HomCo Lumber and Hardware, and Trussway.
- Represented Citi, financial advisor to Healthcare Realty Trust, in its $7.75 billion business combination with Healthcare Trust of America.
- Represented Credit Suisse, financial advisor to Sitio Royalties Corp., in its $4.8 billion merger with Brigham Minerals Inc., a Texas-based mineral acquisition company focused on acquiring oil and gas mineral rights across the U.S.
- Represented Indiana-based logistics REIT Duke Realty Corporation in its $26 billion acquisition by Prologis, a San Francisco-based logistics real estate company. This was the largest REIT privatization transaction of 2022.
- Represented Fifth Third Bancorp in its acquisition of Dividend Finance, a leading fintech point-of-sale (POS) lender, providing financing solutions for residential renewable energy and sustainability-focused home improvement.
- Represented FLEETCOR Technologies, a leading global business payments company, in its acquisition of Accrualify, an accounts payable (AP) automation software company.
- For more than 10 years, we have represented Graphic Packaging International, a leading provider of paperboard packaging solutions to multinational and other consumer products companies, in more than a dozen M&A transactions, including its acquisition of assets from Delta Natural Kraft Inc.; its $280 million acquisition of Americraft Carton Inc.; several dispositions of non-core businesses; its merger agreement with Altivity Packaging LLC, a paperboard packaging company whose majority interest is held by the private equity group TPG Capital; and its $6 billion combination with the North America consumer packaging business of International Paper Company.
- Represented Houlihan Lokey, financial advisor to Gesher I Acquisition, an Israel-based blank check company, in its $435 million acquisition of Freightos Limited, an Israeli freight booking and payment platform.
- Represented Larkspur Health Acquisition Corp., a special purpose acquisition company, in its $108.92 million merger with ZyVersa Therapeutics Inc., a clinical stage specialty biopharmaceutical company.
- Represented LHC Group Inc., a national provider of in-home healthcare services, in its $5.4 billion acquisition by Optum, a diversified health services company.
- Represented Macquarie Capital, financial advisor to Churchill Downs Inc., in its $2.485 billion acquisition of Peninsula Pacific Entertainment.
- Represented Mohawk Industries, a leading global flooring manufacturer, in its acquisition of Foss Flooring, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of non-woven needle-punch flooring, acquiring three manufacturing facilities in total, as a part of Mohawk’s continued strategic expansion plans.
- Represented N. Harris Computer Corp., subsidiary of Constellation Software, in its $700 million acquisition of Allscripts Healthcare Solutions’ Hospitals and Large Physician Practices business segment.
- Represented Said Differently, a global marketing agency, in its growth investment from Falfurrias Capital Partners, a Charlotte-based private equity investment firm.
- Advised Tropic Ocean Airways, the world's largest amphibious airline, in its new strategic partnership with and minority investment from Wheels Up Experience, a leading provider of private aviation.
- Represented Truist Ventures in its acquisition of Long Game Savings, Inc., an award-winning gamified finance mobile app.
- Represented TrueCar, a leading automotive digital marketplace, in its acquisition of Digital Motors, an automotive retail and financial technology platform company.
- Represented Lumine Group, a division of Volaris Group, in its acquisition of TOMIA, a technology provider to telecom carriers.
- Represented White Cap Supply Holdings, a portfolio company of Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, with its acquisitions of National Concrete Accessories Canada Inc., substantially all of the assets of Tri-Supply & Equipment Inc., Diamond Tool & Fasteners Inc., the rebar operations of The Cook & Boardman Group, CSI Geoturf, and Valley Cash & Carry, Inc. (d/b/a Valley Supply).
- Represented ZenFi Networks, an East coast-based provider of digital infrastructure solutions, in its sale to BAI Communications, a world leader in shared communications infrastructure.