We have more than 90 attorneys regularly advising clients on securities matters. There are few securities issues that we have not seen, and we are fully equipped to handle the most sophisticated offerings and other securities transactions, as well as the daily securities needs of our public company clients. We have particular insight into many of the securities rules and regulations through members of our firm who have served at the Securities and Exchange Commission, including as chief of the SEC’s Office of Mergers and Acquisitions.
- The Best Lawyers in America 2016 features 38 Alston & Bird corporate attorneys.
- The BTI Client Service 30 ranked Alston & Bird #8 in 2016 among U.S. law firms in providing superior client service. The ranking resulted from interviews with more than 315 corporate counsel at large and Fortune 1000 companies.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2016) recognizes 27 Alston & Bird corporate attorneys.
- Corporate Board Member magazine’s 2014 survey of general counsel and directors named Alston & Bird as one of America's Best Corporate Law Firms.
- For 2013, the SEC New Registrations Report ranked Alston & Bird #3 in the aggregate value of completed IPOs and #9 in aggregate value of pre-effective IPOs.
- The American Lawyer’s 2009 “Corporate Scorecard” ranked Alston & Bird #1 as issuer’s counsel in the category of REIT debt transactions.
Bringing Value to Our Clients
Our securities lawyers operate based on two fundamental principles: first, we seek to be facilitators, rather than roadblocks; and second, we are there to protect the value of our client’s deal, not only by identifying issues and risks but by providing solutions. This philosophy enables us to provide highly effective representation on a no-nonsense basis.
- Represent American Honda Finance Corporation as issuer’s counsel in connection with its public asset-backed securitization program. Most recently, we renewed American Honda Finance Corporation’s $10 billion shelf registration statement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Under its public asset-backed securitization program, American Honda Finance Corporation has recently issued approximately $ 9 billion in asset-backed notes.
- Represented American Honda Finance Company during its public issuance of securitized notes, valued at up to $2 billion and in its 144A, $1.75 billion notes offering.
- Represented Denny's Corporation during the refinancing of the company's credit facility and $300 million tender offer for outstanding senior notes.
- Represented Duke Realty in two $300 million follow-on offerings of senior notes.
- Represented Duke Realty Corporation, an UPREIT, in connection with several securities offerings with proceeds in excess of $1.7 billion, including both registered and private offerings of depositary shares of preferred stock, exchangeable notes and senior debt securities, as well as in connection with several public offerings related to the conversion of the units of Duke's operating partnership into publicly traded shares of Duke.
- Represented Goal Financial, LLC, in connection with its private Rule 144A offering of $602 million student loan backed notes.
- Represented Goldman, Sachs & Co. as underwriters in a $750 million private offering of subordinated notes by Regions Bank.
- Represented HealthSouth Corporation in its issuance of two tranches of senior secured notes: $275 million of 7.25 percent senior secured notes due in 2018, and $250 million of 7.75 percent senior secured notes due in 2022.
- Represented Independence Realty Trust, Inc., a non-listed REIT, in its initial public offering of up to $1.095 billion in common stock.
- Represented Invesco Mortgage Capital Inc., a registered REIT, in a number of transactions, including in its $393 million follow-on offering of common stock; during two follow-on offerings of common stock with an aggregate value of $359.9 million; and in connection with its $286.4 million follow-on offering of common stock.
- Represented JPMorgan Securities as the initial purchasers in a $300 million 144A notes offering by AGCO Corporation.
- Represented Mohawk Industries, Inc., during its $200 million tender offer of notes.
- Represented Sally Beauty Holdings, Inc. in late 2011 and 2012 in connection with multiple secondary common stock offerings totaling approximately $2 billion and multiple senior notes offerings totaling approximately $1.45 billion.
- Represented the financial holding company Synovus Financial Corporation in its $600 million offering of common stock and its offer to exchange up to 50 million newly issued shares of the company’s common stock for any and all of its outstanding 4.875 percent subordinated notes due 2013; we also represented Synovus during its offering of common stock and tangible equity units aggregating $1.1 billion.
- Represented TitleMax Holdings, a privately held automobile title lending company, in the issuance of $250 million of notes under Rule 144A.
- Represented the United States Department of the Treasury in a $20.4 million public auction and sale of warrants to purchase common stock of Webster Financial Corporation, which was received by the U.S. Treasury as partial consideration for its TARP investment in Webster Financial Corporation.