Reconstruction of America’s transportation infrastructure is projected to be a major focus in the coming years, and Alston & Bird lawyers are experienced in assisting clients with all of the many facets of transportation construction projects. A representative list of the types of matters in which we have provided our services is set forth below.
- Drafted construction contract documents and legal specifications for the City Airport Authority in the Central Valley of California.
- Provided project counseling to a client in connection with construction of the Charlotte light rail system.
- Provided project counseling to a civil subcontractor in connection with issues and claims arising from the Los Angeles Metro Expo Phase I light rail project.
- Drafted and negotiated supply agreements on behalf of a steel contractor with various steel fabricators relating to several road and bridge projects.
- Represented a construction manager in the negotiation of an agreement for the demolition and replacement of Terminal A at Boston’s Logan Airport.
- Represented a construction manager in the negotiation of agreements for the construction of air cargo distribution facilities for Lan Chile at Miami Airport, Lufthansa at JFK Airport in New York and DHL at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport.
- Represented a joint-venture general contractor in connection with the prosecution of $85 million in claims arising from the construction of a 4.5 segment of Seattle’s light rail system. After an eight-week arbitration, the client was awarded more than $66 million in damages.
- Represented a California municipality in connection with the defense of $16 million in defective design, extra work, delay and disruption claims asserted by a general contractor arising from the construction of a new airport terminal.
- Represented a national transportation company in arbitration concerning change orders and unforeseen site conditions on a transportation hub in Richmond, Virginia.
- Represented a bridge contractor in connection with claims arising out of the seismic retrofit of the Coronado Bridge in San Diego.
- Represented a civil contractor in the prosecution of claims arising from construction of a counterfort retaining wall involved with a larger highway project.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of a general contractor relating to the construction of a 4.5 mile pedestrian/bike path constructed over a former railroad right-of-way.
- Represented a national electrical contractor in connection with claims arising out of the installation of the Los Angeles “Smart Traffic” electronic traffic control system.