Rosemarie Thurston and Jason Goode participated in this conference sponsored by Information Management Network (IMN). Rosemarie Thurston served as a conference chairperson and moderated the session,"CEO Panel: Life in the Fast Lane Vs. Crunch Time for the Industry." This presentation addressed the following questions.
- Where are we going as an industry? How to prepare for this?
- What will the industry ultimately look like – will it even still be around?
- Survival of the fittest: Who will survive? What will it take to survive as a Non-Traded REIT in this evolving market?
- The ‘David Lerner Situation’: How are you managing increased regulator scrutiny? How are you dealing with media fall out issues? How about questions from analysts and Broker/Dealers?
Jason Goode was a panelist during the session,“Pre-Symposium Workshop Starting a Non-Traded REIT Today:What You Need to Know in the Current Market.” The session covered the following topics.
- Is launching a Non-Traded REIT a good idea today? Is the market already overcrowded? Why a Non-Traded REIT vs. another alternative product? Some product sponsors are launching BDCs – is this a viable alternative to Non-Traded REITs in the current climate?
- How to get the product to market? How can new entrants/smaller Non-Traded REITs get onto Broker/Dealer shelves? How about other forms of distribution – is tapping into the RIA market worth the time and effort? Is it even a possibility for new entrants? What are the pros and cons of third party distribution platforms? In-house?
- Product differentiation: Securing a niche - what possibilities are left?
- Product structure: Is the ‘next generation’ product structure the only viable option? Anything else innovative that can be done?
- Exit strategies: What are the options today?
- Case studies of recently launched Non-Traded REITs: Those that made it and those that didn’t and why
St. Regis Monarch Beach / Dana Point, CA