- Defended and obtained a successful resolution of a putative class action alleging violations of the CA auto-renewal act, EFTA and Unfair Competition Law.
- Defeated class certification on a breach of fiduciary duty claim in a case involving investments in an alleged Ponzi scheme.
- Defeated class certification in a consumer class action alleging violation of the “unlawful” prong of the California Unfair Competition Law.
- Defeated class certification and won summary judgment in a national class action involving index annuity sales.
- Obtained dismissal of a class action against a vision health care plan.
- Won summary judgment on all claims in a case involving a failed life settlement scheme concocted by the plaintiff’s agent and financial advisor.
- Obtained dismissals of putative class actions on behalf of nutritional supplement manufacturers in cases involving claims for false advertising, unfair competition, and violation of the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act.
- Settled a class action involving claims of unfair competition, fraud, and breach of contract involving fixed-indexed annuities, after paring down claims at the certification stage.
- Settled a putative class action, on behalf of a global sports and lifestyle brand, in a case involving alleged false and deceptive advertising practices over compression gear.
- Won summary judgment in a class action involving equity-indexed annuities after defeating a renewed motion to certify class claims.
- Phone: +1 213 576 1123
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Litigated and resolved, on behalf of a global sports and lifestyle brand, a putative class action in federal district court alleging false and deceptive advertising practices over toning shoes.
- Won summary judgment in a nationwide class action on behalf of a life insurance company in a case involving an alleged scheme to fraudulently market fixed deferred annuities.
- Secured a full defense verdict in a jury trial in favor of a life insurer against plaintiffs alleging fraud in the sale of life insurance. The court of appeal affirmed the defense verdict.
- Litigated and resolved a class action alleging false and deceptive advertising practices over dietary supplements.
- Settled a putative class action involving alleged false and deceptive advertising practices over nutritional supplements after securing dismissal of a related case.
- Defeated a class certification motion involving alleged false and deceptive advertising practices over pre-paid Visa cards.
- Argued and won an appeal before the Ninth Circuit, resulting in a published opinion deciding two novel issues of immigration law.
A member of Alston & Bird’s Litigation Group, Kathy J. Huang has a proven track record of providing valuable and strategic solutions for clients facing major exposure and bet-the-company litigation. She focuses her practice on class action defense, including defense of claims of unfair competition, unfair business practices, and false advertising. Kathy routinely counsels clients on matters that can have a significant impact on a company’s operations and reputation and has defended class actions and other complex litigation in federal and state courts across the U.S. Her clients include Fortune 500 companies in life insurance and financial services, nutrition and product supplement companies, major sports apparel retailers and manufacturers, and health care plans. In addition, Kathy has a background in intellectual property issues and insurance recovery matters.
Kathy was recognized in 2020 as one of the “Top Minority Attorneys in Los Angeles” by the Los Angeles Business Journal. She has been named a “Rising Star” by Southern California Super Lawyers for the Class Actions/Mass Torts practice area. She was also named a 2016 Next Generation Leader with The Committee of 100, a national nonpartisan leadership organization of prominent Chinese Americans in business, government, academia, and the arts. Kathy is the chair of the Los Angeles Office Pro Bono Committee and currently serves on the board of Public Counsel, the nation’s largest pro bono law firm.
- Mandarin Chinese
- Georgetown University (J.D., 2005)
- Stanford University (M.A., 2002)
- Stanford University (B.A., 2002)
VIDEOS | JULY 10, 2018
Practical Counsel When Companies Face Consumer Class Actions
Litigation partner Kathy Huang provides practical tips and an ideal approach for companies to take when facing consumer class actions.
- Class Action & Multidistrict Litigation
- Financial Services Litigation
- FDA/Food, Drug & Device
- Policyholder Class Action Defense
- High Exposure Claims, Coverage & Bad Faith Defense
- Insurance Regulatory Guidance
- Insurance-Related Antitrust Defense
- Policy Drafting and Product Development
- Insurance Litigation & Regulation