Commercial & Civil Litigation
- Lead defense and trial counsel for a REIT defendant in a complex federal court lawsuit filed by a national publicly traded homebuilder in a real estate and real estate finance dispute alleging environmental, breach of contract, and other claims in highly contentious litigation spanning eight years. Implementing an aggressive defense and launching counterclaims, the defendant achieved the rare complete trial victory as a defendant: it defended all claims brought against it and won on its counterclaims. After a multiple-week trial, the court found that the plaintiff acted in bad faith trying to avoid its contractual obligations and entered judgment in favor of the defendant and against the plaintiff exceeding $235 million. The judgment was affirmed by the Fourth Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court denied the plaintiff’s petition for certiorari. (D. Md.)
- Lead counsel representing a Fortune 500 biotechnology and medical device company in an international trade secret and tortious interference lawsuit relating to licenses for intellectual property and enforcement of intellectual property rights for biotechnology products in Japan. The case was settled.
- Lead counsel for a multinational finance and insurance corporation in a dispute arising from a ground lease at the Highland Mall in Austin, TX. On motion, the entire bankruptcy was dismissed. (W.D. Tex.)
- Lead counsel in misappropriation of trade secrets litigation in state court; preliminary and permanent injunctive relief was obtained on behalf of the client. (Loudoun County, VA)
- Lead counsel for the former chief executive officer of a company in a civil fraud and breach of contract case. The case was settled. (E.D. Va.)
Products Liability & Catastrophic Injury Litigation
- Lead trial and national coordinating counsel for four defendants – a national warehouse retailer, a manufacturer, and two supply-chain companies – in products liability cases in federal and state courts across 10 western states. Plaintiffs’ counsel brought hundreds of individual cases and a consolidated class action with eight-figure exposure and many multiples of that in punitive damages. In the first trial, a three-week products liability and wrongful death trial in Los Angeles Superior Court, the jury delivered a unanimous defense verdict in the defendants’ favor.
- Lead defense and trial counsel representing a tire company in a products liability and catastrophic tort lawsuit in state court involving an SUV rollover, quadriplegic injuries, a three-month trial, and a nine-figure exposure. The trial resulted in a hung jury, and an innovative settlement was negotiated while the jury deliberated, protecting the client from a second trial. (Orange County, CA)
- Lead trial counsel defending a publicly traded company at trial in a wrongful death action in state court arising from the death of a senior executive of a competitor. Obtained a defense verdict at the third and final trial of the matter after an eight-figure jury demand by a nationally known Florida plaintiff lawyer. (St. Petersburg, FL)
- Lead defense and trial counsel in multiple wrongful death actions brought in state and federal courts against a publicly traded company arising out of an incident at a Louisiana manufacturing facility.
- Lead defense and trial counsel representing the owner and management group of an apartment complex in a premises liability and wrongful death case arising from a fire involving multiple deaths, code violations in an apartment where deaf residents resided, and a nine-figure jury demand in state court in Texas. The case was tried to verdict due to the high settlement demand, and the judgment against the clients was contained to the low single digits. (Dallas County, TX)