- Defending numerous putative class actions asserting common-law and statutory claims, including causes of action under Sections 17200 and 17500 of the California Business and Professions Code, California’s Consumers Legal Remedies Act and Unruh Civil Rights Act, and the federal Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court for the world’s leading beverage company—mooting the plaintiff’s pending motion for class certification—in a putative nationwide class action challenging the labeling of various 100% juice products.
- Achieved a favorable ruling on demurrer, including on preemption grounds, to a putative class action complaint challenging the labeling of a significant coconut water brand’s 100% coconut water product.
- Defending the world’s leading beverage company (and its subsidiary) in a putative class action alleging violations of state consumer protection statutes premised on FDA regulations concerning the labeling of various juice and smoothie products.
- Defending a prominent ice cream brand against putative class action claims in various jurisdictions throughout the U.S.
- Represented the world’s leading beverage company as a non-party in numerous lawsuits alleging product liability claims from ingestion of energy drinks.
- Participated as part of the litigation team securing a federal jury verdict for the world’s leading beverage company in a landmark advertising dispute over juice labeling and FDA regulations (after the case was remanded for trial to the Central District of California by the U.S. Supreme Court).
- Member of the trial team that obtained a defense verdict for a Fortune 500 client in Los Angeles Superior Court after a five-day jury trial on claims of discrimination and retaliation, thereafter obtaining an award of costs against the plaintiff and defeating her motion for a new trial.
- Obtained dismissal of a putative class action in federal court, which was thereafter upheld on appeal by the Ninth Circuit, on the grounds that an excess insurance layer was not triggered in a coverage dispute arising from an alleged breach of fiduciary class claims brought against a bankrupt subprime mortgage company’s officers and directors.
- Obtained summary judgment for a Fortune 500 company in a federal lawsuit asserting claims based on alleged civil rights violations.
- Phone: +1 213 576 1143
- Email: email@example.com
- Prevailed on a motion for partial summary judgment on behalf of an international transportation company in a fuel contract dispute.
- Obtained summary adjudication for an international media network in a lawsuit concerning the interpretation of defense and indemnity obligations arising out of a commercial lease.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice at the pleadings stage for a national insurance company in an action alleging interference with contractual relations and violations of California Business & Professions Code Section 17200.
- Represented a professional soccer ownership group in the sale of its United Soccer League franchise.
- Advised a National Football League team on risk mitigation and liability assessment in connection with community engagements and publicity events.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict on behalf of an international semiconductor manufacturer in a high-stakes trial involving implied warranty claims.
- Obtained favorable dismissals of class claims for an international cosmetics manufacturer.
Jeff Rosenfeld, partner-in-charge of Alston & Bird’s Los Angeles office, focuses his practice on trial and appellate litigation, with an emphasis on class action and other complex commercial litigation. He has extensive experience defending a variety of class actions and high-stakes litigation in both state and federal courts across the nation. Jeff’s practice includes a range of industries, including manufacturing, food and beverage, hospitality, finance, Internet and software, electronics, real estate, energy, and agriculture. He regularly counsels and represents clients in corporate governance and partnership disputes, as well as in a variety of other claims typically experienced by individual and corporate stakeholders.
Jeff has an accomplished track record of defeating threatened and actual claims at every stage of litigation and has negotiated settlements of numerous matters without litigation. Jeff regularly counsels clients on records retention, litigation holds, and the preservation and use of electronic information.
Jeff was recently named one of the "Most Influential Litigators" in Los Angeles by the Los Angeles Business Journal. He was listed as one of the “Most Influential People” in Los Angeles by the Los Angeles Business Journal in 2018, 2019, and 2020. He has also been recognized as a leading attorney for Food and Beverage Law by The Best Lawyers in America, as well as named a Southern California Super Lawyer by Law & Politics and Los Angeles magazines.
- Pepperdine University (J.D., 1988)
- California State University, Northridge (B.A., 1985)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Litigation Section, Commercial Law Section, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Forum on Entertainment and Sports Industries)