- National labeling counsel for one of North America’s largest food companies, defending the company in all its consumer class action labeling cases, slack-fill cases, and Proposition 65 cases.
- Supervised the nationwide defense of leading food manufacturers in adulterated food personal injury claims arising from highly publicized food recalls, including defending more than 700 cases in 24 states, defeating 29 class actions, and defending 20,000 individual claims related to a single recall.
- Defending retailers and food manufacturers in consumer class action labeling cases throughout the United States, with experience defeating class certification and obtaining summary dismissal with prejudice.
- Counsel to national food manufacturers, transporters, distributors, and retailers regarding compliance with FDA, USDA, and CBP regulations, including labeling and claims, food safety, preventive controls, FSMA compliance, registration issues, and import issues.
- Representing national supermarkets, food manufacturers, distributors, and restaurant chains in all aspects of recalls, including working with regulators, advising on public relations matters, and resolving threatened enforcement action and claims.
- Advising food manufacturers and retailers on product claim substantiation and risk mitigation.
Compliance and Enforcement
- Defending food manufacturers, retailers, restaurant chains, and transporters against claims of criminal violations of FDA and USDA regulations before the Department of Justice, Main Justice, and assistant U.S. attorneys.
- Defending clients in FDA, USDA, and CBP enforcement actions, including warning letters, FDA Form 483s, establishment inspection reports, registration suspension threats, and import holds and detentions.