- Assisted food retailers (including grocery stores, restaurants, central kitchens, and third-party delivery services) in navigating compliance with federal, local, and state regulatory requirements.
- Counseled food and beverage manufacturers on regulatory compliance, claim substantiation, and litigation risk with respect to labeling of products.
- Advised various stakeholders on food safety obligations under the Food Safety Modernization Act, including preparing food safety plans for compliance with hazard analysis and risk-based preventative controls requirements.
- Advised pet food and animal grooming product manufacturer on compliance with applicable regulatory requirements, ingredient review, and claims substantiation.
- Worked with cosmetic companies to strategically develop marketing claims as to minimize regulatory and litigation risk.
- Advised cosmetic companies on the regulatory status of product ingredients and the implications of the Modernization of Cosmetic Regulations Act of 2022.
- Advised foreign and domestic drug manufacturers regarding FDA facility inspections, regulatory meetings, warning letters, and import alerts.
- Advised drug manufacturers and other stakeholders on emerging scientific and regulatory considerations concerning drug substance-related impurities in drug products, including nitrosamines and other genotoxic impurities.
- Assisted clients in establishing pathways to bring medical devices to market.
- Assisted clients in the recycled plastics industry in obtaining Letters of No Objection from the FDA and Health Canada, confirming the capability of their recycling processes to produce post-consumer recycled material that is suitable for food-contact use.
- Advised food and beverage clients regarding compliance with requirements set forth in state post-consumer recycled content legislation and extended producer responsibility programs.
- Evaluated the compliance status of substances used in food packaging and in food processing equipment and drafted legal opinion letters regarding the same.
- Worked to prepare and submit numerous food contact notifications to obtain premarket clearances from the FDA for substances used in packaging materials.
- Advised on product labeling obligations under California’s Proposition 65 and other state-related legislation.
- Assisted clients by monitoring legislation and policies affecting food, beverages, dietary supplements, drugs, and cosmetics in various jurisdictions including the United States, the United Kingdom, European Union, Latin America, China, and Japan.
Ashley Yull is a senior associate in the Washington, D.C. office who counsels clients in industries regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the Federal Trade Commission. Ashley concentrates her practice on helping clients navigate complex compliance and enforcement related issues involving food, beverages, dietary supplements, drugs, medical devices, and cosmetics. Ashley also provides regulatory support in food and beverage litigation.
Before joining the firm, Ashley advised clients on the regulation of food contact materials in multiple jurisdictions at another international law firm. She assisted companies in bringing new food contact materials, including plastics, biopolymers, adhesives, coatings, recycled materials, and components thereof, to market and helped manage post-market issues such as recalls and accidental adulterations for food contact materials. She also previously clerked for Chief Special Master Brian H. Corcoran at the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Ashley earned her J.D., cum laude, from the American University Washington College of Law where she served as a senior staff member on the American University Journal of Gender, Social Policy & the Law and as the executive editor of the Health Law & Policy Brief. She was also a student attorney in the Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Law Clinic.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- American University (J.D., 2014)
- Boston University (M.A., 2008)
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges (B.S., 2006)