The environmental lawyers at Alston & Bird have broad experience in responding to catastrophic events. We have served as members of crisis response teams that mobilize quickly to meet and work with regulators to create solutions and minimize legal exposure when such events occur. Our attorneys have experience serving as part of governmental response teams and can provide first-hand guidance on what to expect from any investigations. We are also skilled in working with regulators to minimize the immediate adverse effects of a crisis, resolve enforcement issues and restore our clients’ businesses to viable long-term enterprises.
Alston & Bird’s environmental lawyers have:
- served as members of initial response teams, meeting with regulators, conducting root-cause investigations, developing and implementing short- and long-term strategies to handle regulatory and litigation risk;
- conducted numerous internal environmental investigations, uncovering reportable violations and aiding in voluntary reporting to minimize the risk of enforcement actions; and
- represented clients in several major criminal investigations and prosecutions related to environmental crisis events.
Alston & Bird’s environmental practice is perennially ranked among the top law firms in California and Georgia by Chambers USA, a leading independent guide that interviews clients to compile its rankings. As noted in the most recent edition, “[Alston & Bird’s] lawyers are bright and motivated and have an excellent working relationship with the regulators."
In addition, various members of the firm’s environmental practice have been named as leaders in the field by inclusion in reputable, peer-based publications, including The Best Lawyers in America, Who’s Who Legal and Super Lawyers magazine.
- Served on the quick-response team mobilized to investigate an explosion at a food processing facility that resulted in extensive damage to the facility, killed 14 workers and injured over 40 more. The team worked with regulators to resolve an extensive OSHA complaint, rebuild the facility and insure its compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations.
- Representation of a used-oil facility charged with environmental violations as a result of a fire at a facility that caused the death of one worker.
- Responded to an EPA search warrant at drum-recycling facility where the illegal storage of hazardous waste was suspected.