Alston & Bird hosted the second session of its three-part webinar series on health care litigation on Thursday, March 22, 1pm-2pm. Spence Pryor, Paula Stannard and Jason Popp were the featured panelists.
An unauthorized acquisition or disclosure of personal information concerning an organization's employees, or the individuals whom it serves or with whom it does business can disrupt an organization's business. These unauthorized acts can negatively affect an organization's reputation and the confidence of the individuals sharing information with the organization and doing business with it. When individually identifiable health information is involved and the organization is a HIPAA covered entity or a PHR vendor, the risks to the organization can be even greater. After a brief overview of the HIPAA/HITECH Act Breach Notification Rule requirements, the panel explored best practices for addressing health information incidents. The following topics were covered during the program.
- developing an incident response plan;
- assembling an incident response team;
- determining whether a breach has occurred;
- responding to a breach;
- preparing for and responding to civil and/or criminal investigations and private litigation; and
- protecting the privilege in responding to investigative inquiries.
March 22, 2012
1pm - 2pm