To provide leadership, structure, and accountability for these efforts, the firm has had a formal diversity committee structure, programs, and initiatives for over 20 years. Alston & Bird has the following standing Diversity & Inclusion Committees:
- Firmwide Diversity & Inclusion Steering Committee
- Regional Diversity & Inclusion Committees
- Firmwide Women’s Initiative Steering Committee
- Regional Women’s Initiative Committees
- Connecting Through Diversity Committee
- Professional Staff Diversity & Inclusion Advisory Committee - “RISE” (Representation, Inclusion, and Staff Engagement)
These committees include senior partners, firm leaders, professional staff, and, on regional committees, associates of all levels. In addition, as described below, the firm has Practice Group Diversity Partners (PGDPs), influential partners who lead D&I efforts in each of the firm’s practice groups.
This committee structure, the PGDP program, and our diversity and inclusion efforts are led by the firm’s first, full-time Diversity & Inclusion Partner, Angela Payne James, who was hired as part of the firm’s continued investment in, and commitment to, diversity and inclusion. In addition to Angela, the firm has a full-time Diversity & Inclusion Administrator, as well as a Human Resources & Diversity Manager and a Director of Human Resources & Diversity, both of whom are key contributors to the firm’s diversity and inclusion efforts.