- Representing a variety of companies in dozens of Proposition 65 matters, including cases involving food and beverage products, dietary and nutritional supplements, home furnishings, plastic and vinyl products, clothing, and alleged environmental exposures.
- Representing one of the largest owners and developers of mixed-use communities in coastal California and an NYSE-listed company, in a mass action filed by 150 plaintiffs claiming personal injury and property damage from alleged airborne contamination.
- Defending a real estate developer in a putative class action by over 9,500 community members seeking personal injury and property damage from the alleged failure to disclose the presence of radioactive substances at a former naval shipyard that is the subject of San Francisco’s largest development project in a century.
- Representing a real estate developer in a Federal Tort Claims Act action against the United States stemming from the Navy’s negligent oversight and supervision of a government contractor that performed fraudulent radiological investigation and remediation services at a former naval shipyard slated for redevelopment.
- Representing the Western States Petroleum Association in CEQA challenges to anti-oil and gas provisions in the Ventura County General Plan Update.
- Representing oil and gas operators and mineral rights owners in CEQA challenges to Ventura County’s amended coastal and non-coastal zoning ordinances, which seek to severely curtail oil and gas production in the county.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of a real estate development company in land use litigation against the County of Orange challenging a controversial mixed-use development project.
- Defended one of the world’s largest private sector energy companies against lawsuits brought by multiple California municipalities seeking to hold the company liable for the effects of climate change. The client was dismissed from the lawsuits with prejudice.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of the petitioner in CEQA, NEPA, and Endangered Species Act citizen suit challenges to a controversial long-term water transfer program.
- Defended a multinational industrial minerals company against alleged violations of the Clean Water Act for the client’s facility in southern California.
- Represented State Water Contractors as intervenor-defendants in two Endangered Species Act citizen suit challenges to the biological opinions for winter-run and spring-run Chinook salmon and delta smelt in a multibillion-dollar water infrastructure project.
- Represented a mining company in the adjudication of the Antelope Valley Groundwater Basin, the largest groundwater pumping rights case in California history.
Land Use and Entitlements
- Conducted land use entitlement and CEQA compliance for a specific plan in Monterey County, CA for the construction and operation of 1,485 housing units, 250 hotel rooms, 150,000 square feet of retail, dining, and entertainment uses, and 50,000 square feet of office, flex, makerspace, as well as park/recreational areas and supporting infrastructure. The project area is a 122 net acre large infill project to replace a former military base.
- Performed land use and entitlement work for an international shopping center developer for a large-scale commercial development project in Los Angeles County, consisting of an approximately 32,000 square foot luxury cinema, an approximately 34,185 square foot full service health and fitness club, and expansion of a shopping center to over one million square feet.
- Performed land use entitlement and CEQA compliance for a master plan to guide the development of residential uses, commercial uses, and public facilities in the City of San Ramon, CA. The buildout of the master plan includes 4,500 dwelling units, a 169-key hotel, 166,000 square feet of commercial uses, three new parking structures, and publicly accessible parks and public spaces.