- Advising lodging, hospitality and timeshare industry clients on various business and legal matters related to the coronavirus outbreak.
- Represented Wyndham Destination in its spinoff of Wyndham Hotels and Resorts.
- Represented Hilton Grand Vacations in an underwritten selling stockholder offering by HNA of its $1.1 billion equity ownership; in a joint venture transaction with Blackstone related to the Elara property in Las Vegas; and in its spinoff from Hilton Worldwide in a $9 billion reorganization transaction.
- Represented a publicly traded real estate and finance company in various corporate governance and internal investigation matters.
- Represented a designer and manufacturer of rugged servers for military, aerospace, and industrial application in its sale to a publicly traded provider of defense and commercial electronics.
- Represented an online advertising company in several series of venture capital financings with an aggregate value of more than $100 million.
- Represented a biotech company in seed and convertible notes financings.
- Represented a medical mobile application developer and health care provider in early convertibles notes financing.
- Represented an impact/CSR startup manufacturer of consumer goods in performance aligned preferred stock financing.
- Represented a computer- and mobile-based education and training design and development startup company in its acquisitions of the distressed assets of a distributed learning company and a computer-based security screening training company.
- Represented a group of limited partners in the sale of a publicly traded office REIT and its related operating partnership in an UPREIT merger transaction.
- Represented a publicly traded student housing REIT in its sale to a real estate private equity firm.
- Represented the second-largest U.S. apartment REIT in its $22.2 billion sale to a joint venture between a large, New York based, private real estate company and a bulge bracket investment bank.
- Represented a publicly traded, Class A office REIT in its UPREIT conversion and $2 billion acquisition of office properties from one of Southern California’s largest office landlords, and ultimately in its $8.9 billion joint acquisition by a real estate operating company and The Blackstone Group.
- Represented a self-administered and self-managed REIT, with a national portfolio of 467 properties, in its $7.8 billion two-step tender offer acquisition by an Australia-based property group.
- Represented CarrAmerica Realty Corporation in its $5.6 billion sale to The Blackstone Group.
- Represented the residential and commercial businesses of a self-administered and self-managed equity REIT in their sales to an apartment REIT and a developer of office and retail properties, respectively.
- Represented Equity Office Properties Trust in more than $2 billion of debt offerings.
- Represented various underwriters (including Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, Lehman, Citibank, Bank of America, and Credit Suisse) in debt and equity offerings by Equity Residential Properties Trust in the aggregate amount of more than $10 billion, and by various other REITs, including Post Properties and JDN Realty.
- Represented various REIT issuer clients, including The Mills Corporation, Colonial Properties Trust, DuPont Fabros Technology, Federal Realty Investment Trust, and Extra Space Storage.
- Represented publicly traded companies in the managed health care, senior assisted living, ISP/technology, and other industries in IPO, 144A, secondary offering, selling stockholder, and other transactions.
- Represented Host Marriott and Crestline in the conversion of Host Marriott into a REIT and spinoff of Crestline as a hotel leasing/management/franchise company.
- Represented a Connecticut-based hotel/casino in its $250 million debt offerings to finance its development.
Alex Park, partner in Alston & Bird’s Corporate & Business Transactions Group, is passionate about understanding his clients’ business needs, goals, and objectives, as well as constraints, so that he can offer customized advice and solutions. He prides himself on serving as the quarterback of any engagement and working with a larger, collaborative team of lawyers across all disciplines to provide integrated, comprehensive service to his clients. Alex thrives in handling complex issues that require careful analysis and a full understanding of potential implications.
For more than 20 years, Alex has advised public and private companies and virtually all Wall Street investment banks on corporate, securities, M&A, capital markets, venture capital/early-stage, spin-off, reorganization, and partnership transactions, with particular focus on advising REITs, hospitality/lodging/timeshare companies, commercial real estate companies, technology-focused companies, governmental contractors, and IT companies. He has served as counsel to more than 30 publicly traded REITs and hospitality, lodging, timeshare, technology, and related companies, as well as all major investment banks, in connection with more than 100 public and private capital market transactions.
He also regularly advises his clients on various securities law and governance matters, including financial restatements, internal investigations, special committees, and other unique situations.
In 2018, Alex received NYU School of Law’s inaugural Grunin Prize for Law and Social Entrepreneurship for development of a new equity investment structure.
- District of Columbia
- The George Washington University (J.D., 1996)
- The George Washington University (B.A.A., 1993)