- First-chair defense of clients in a six-week jury trial alleging the client had wrongfully convicted the plaintiff with a favorable result for the client.
- First-chair defense of clients in a three-week jury trial where clients were accused of employment discrimination with a favorable result for the client.
- Prosecuted multiple defendants for securities fraud in a week-long jury trial that resulted in conviction.
- Presented the oral argument before the Illinois Supreme Court in Scachitti v. UBS. Achieved unanimous reversal of the trial court’s decision declaring the Illinois False Claims Act unconstitutional.
- Presented the oral argument before the Illinois Supreme Court in Manago v. Cook County. Achieved unanimous reversal of intermediate and trial court interpretation of the Illinois Healthcare Services Lien Act, with remand to enter a judgment in favor of Cook County.
- Presented the oral argument before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit in Consolino v. Towne, a case involving the free speech rights of public employees. Court affirmed the trial court’s grant of summary judgment in favor of the client.
- Assisted a client in resolving two shareholder derivative lawsuits, two shareholder class action lawsuits, eight statewide, and two national class action lawsuits. Sued the client’s insurance carriers to cover the costs of the internal investigation and subsequent litigation, with the court finding in favor of the client.
- Led three divestiture transactions for on behalf of a client for $1 billion, $500 million, and $100 million respectively.
- Led $1.5 billion acquisition on behalf of a client, which included issuing $1.5 billion in financing including bonds and term loans.
- Created and implemented a comprehensive compliance program for a Fortune 500 client; established processes and procedures for corporate governance, regulatory and securities issues.
- Led investigations into fraudulent conduct by senior executives across three different global Fortune 500 clients located in the U.S., Mexico, and Singapore.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company through post-acquisition litigation and integration tasks.
- Counseled and advised boards of directors for public companies on a variety of legal matters, including corporate governance, securities, and regulatory litigation.
Chaka Patterson has over two decades of experience in corporate settings, government, and private practice. He most recently served as senior vice president, general counsel, and corporate secretary at a global education corporation. In addition to overseeing day-to-day departmental operations, Chaka guided the business development and M&A transactions, corporate governance, risk and compliance, and litigation functions. Previously, Chaka served as Vice President, Treasury & Investor Relations at a Fortune 100 company, where he managed the company’s balance sheet, cash, bond offerings, and relationships with external stakeholders.
Chaka also has significant government experience. He was the chief of the Civil Actions Bureau for Cook County’s State’s Attorney in Illinois where, he managed a team of 100 lawyers in defending the county and its officeholders and employees in civil suits. Chaka also served as an assistant attorney general and chief of the Illinois Attorney General’s Office Special Litigation Bureau, where he prosecuted civil and criminal fraud cases, including health care fraud, securities fraud, complex consumer fraud, charitable trust fraud, and False Claims Act cases.
Chaka’s private practice experience as a partner in two AmLaw 100 law firms includes representing clients in business and commercial litigation and white-collar criminal defense involving state attorneys general investigations, FCA actions, and internal investigations and compliance reviews.
- The University of Chicago (M.B.A., 2017)
- Harvard University (J.D., 1994)
- Amherst College (B.A., 1990)
- Legal Preparatory Charter School, board of directors
- University of Chicago Law School, law council
- University of Chicago Laboratory School, board of directors
- Posse Foundation, board of directors
- Lurie Children’s Hospital, board of directors
- Chicago Public Library, board of directors (appointed by Mayor Emanuel)
- Harvard Law Society of Illinois, Role Model of the Year (2011)
- Illinois Black Chamber of Commerce, Dr. Arthur Fletcher Outstanding Leadership Award (2010)
- National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners, Diversity in Action Award (2009)