Alston & Bird’s Education Team is a multidisciplinary group of highly accomplished lawyers steeped in the education ecosystem and attuned to the myriad challenges facing educational institutions today. Members of the team have served as senior in-house counsel of higher education institutions and related companies and worked for the Department of Education and other regulators you regularly interact with, bringing their extensive government experience to advocate on your behalf. Our team consistently stays ahead of emerging issues, industry standards, and the laws and regulations that impact educational institutions so that we are prepared to provide you with timely and accurate guidance and counsel. We develop and implement strategies to minimize risk and ensure compliance with ever-changing federal, state, and local laws and regulations – and defend you against litigation if necessary. The team represents both public and private institutions and has extensive experience counseling both for-profits and not-for-profits. Our expertise ensures that you remain focused on your institutional mission and needs.
- Litigation: We defend educational institutions in a wide range of litigation matters in federal and state courts, including consumer protection and false advertising matters, securities and shareholder claims, class actions, False Claims Act and qui tam actions, and accreditation litigation, among a host of other types of lawsuits.
- Government Investigations, Regulatory Inquiries & Compliance: We are there to counsel institutions that need to respond to inquiries from government regulators and conduct internal investigations on behalf of clients facing allegations of misconduct by government regulators. Our government investigations lawyers are well-known by the government, and they are trusted. If government regulators or accreditors have singled out your institution for investigation, we will protect your interests while conducting a thorough examination of the processes and specifics to reduce the likelihood of future scrutiny.
- Corporate, M&A, and Project Finance: We have assisted more than 40 colleges and universities to expand and improve through strategic acquisitions, affiliations, and development of new facilities. With your planning and goals in mind, we work effectively to anticipate problems that could lead to delays and properly structure transactions for maximum long-term success.
- Labor & Employment: We routinely represent schools, colleges, and universities in their labor and employment needs, from pre-employment screenings to effective and lawful termination procedures and everything in between. We have defended whistleblower claims and both individual and class action claims brought by current and former employees.
- Privacy & Cyber: Our education privacy & data security team is uniquely positioned to effectively and efficiently advise education leaders in cybersecurity preparedness and, in the unfortunate occurrence of an attack, to assist with a swift and nimble response. Our team is focused on the higher education industry’s challenges of complying with a complex maze of cybersecurity regulations and regulatory expectations. Drawing on a range of multidisciplinary talents and extensive industry experience, our team of lawyers focuses on the particular and ever-evolving privacy and cybersecurity needs of our higher education clients.
- Antitrust: From strategic partnerships or mergers and acquisitions to compliance issues and investigations and litigation, our Antitrust Team offers a wealth of antitrust legal experience, including handling antitrust matters on behalf of higher education institutions. Clients regularly retain us to represent them in antitrust trials, class actions, and multidistrict litigation, in addition to business counseling for mergers and acquisitions and related federal governments investigations.
- Intellectual Property: You can protect important technologies in areas like biotechnology, engineering, and pharmaceuticals through our team of respected intellectual property lawyers and agents who work with universities and research institutions. Our lawyers assist clients with identifying, protecting, managing, and defending a myriad of intellectual property assets and will work efficiently to protect ideas, mitigate exposure, and, as necessary, vigorously defend your interests.
- Legislative & Public Policy: Our policy professionals are uniquely positioned to advise education clients in a bipartisan, bicameral manner on public policy matters. We have a full-service team of former Members of Congress, Administration officials, chiefs of staff and top policy advisors.
By taking the long view and partnering with you to focus on your strategic vision and objectives, Alston & Bird’s multidisciplinary Education Team offers a seamless and comprehensive experience for any matter.