Alston & Bird’s Education Team is a multidisciplinary group of lawyers steeped in the industry and attuned to the myriad challenges facing educational institutions today. They have served as senior in-house counsel of higher education companies and have worked for the Department of Education. Our lawyers consistently stay ahead of new issues, industry standards, and laws that impact educational institutions so that we are prepared to answer your questions accurately and quickly. Our Education Team has represented for-profit and not-for-profit education institutions and related companies in a vast array of services that allow you to focus on your institution’s mission and the roles it plays in our society.
- Litigation: We defend educational institutions in a wide range of litigation matters in federal and state courts, including consumer protection and false advertising matters, securities and shareholder claims, class actions, False Claims Act and qui tam actions, and accreditation litigation, among a host of other types of lawsuits.
- Government Investigations, Regulatory Inquiries & Compliance: Our attorneys regularly conduct internal investigations on behalf of clients facing allegations of misconduct by government regulators. Our highly credentialed team includes former federal prosecutors who bring their extensive experience leading investigations and prosecutions for the government to advocate on your behalf. Our government investigations lawyers are well-known by the government, and they are trusted. If government regulators or accreditors have singled out your institution for investigation, we will protect your interests while conducting a thorough examination of the processes and specifics to reduce the likelihood of future scrutiny. We also routinely provide regulatory and compliance advice both proactively and in response to regulatory inquiries from the Department of Education, federal and state regulators, and accreditors.
- Corporate, M&A, and Project Finance: Our lawyers have helped more than 40 colleges and universities expand and improve through acquisitions, affiliations, and construction. With your planning and goals in mind, we work to anticipate problems that could lead to delays and properly structure transactions for maximum long-term success.
- Labor & Employment: Our labor and employment lawyers routinely represent schools, colleges, and universities in their labor and employment needs, from pre-employment screenings to effective and lawful termination procedures and everything in between. We have defended employee individual and class actions and whistleblower claims and developed and implemented strategies to minimize risk and ensure compliance with ever-changing federal, state, and local regulations.
- Intellectual Property: Our Education Team includes respected intellectual property lawyers and agents who work with universities and research institutions to protect important technologies in areas like biotechnology, engineering, and pharmaceuticals. Our lawyers assist clients with identifying, protecting, managing, and defending a myriad of intellectual property assets and will work efficiently to protect ideas, mitigate exposure, and, as necessary, vigorously defend your interests.
By taking the long view and focusing on your strategic vision, Alston & Bird’s Education Team produces a seamless experience in any matter.