- Counsel for publicly traded companies and their directors, officers, and financial advisors in M&A litigation matters alleging claims for breach of fiduciary duty and violations of the federal securities laws.
- Long-standing representation of a leading global technology company in a series of M&A and securities class actions filed throughout the country.
- Outside general counsel for a New York-based, veteran-owned investment bank and broker-dealer.
- Trial counsel for former owners of electric utility construction company in suit challenging various M&A-related disclosures brought by the buyer.
- Represented the former CFO of public utilities company in a series of related shareholder class and derivative actions pending in South Carolina federal and state courts.
- Defended the executives of a Louisiana-based health care company in New York federal court where our motion to dismiss was granted.
- Counsel for one of the nation’s largest electric cooperatives in a purported class action brought by the cooperative’s members alleging violations of Florida statutory law and breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Represented the former directors and officers of a Georgia-based bank holding company in purported securities fraud actions alleging that the defendants made false and misleading statements about the financial condition of a subsidiary bank.
- Defended the directors and officers of a California-based optical components manufacturer in a purported securities-fraud class action alleging that the defendants made false and misleading statements about the business and financial condition of the company.
- Counsel for the directors and officers of distressed financial institutions in numerous investigations and lawsuits brought by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
- Defended a biologics company executive in a parallel DOJ and SEC investigation of alleged accounting irregularities.
- Counsel for a former hedge fund portfolio manager in parallel DOJ and SEC enforcement proceedings involving various alleged insider trades.
Andy Sumner defends public and private companies, directors, officers, majority shareholders, and financial industry professionals in securities class actions, M&A and SPAC litigation, shareholder derivative suits, D&O and fiduciary liability matters, regulatory enforcement actions, corporate investigations, and other high-stakes litigation. Andy has been recognized by Super Lawyers as a 2022 “Rising Star” for Securities Litigation.
- University of Tennessee (职业法律博士, 2011)
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (学士学位, 2008)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia