Making the most of opportunity zones requires a coordinated approach from a law firm. Alston & Bird attorneys from across the firm and in multiple practice areas counsel clients on the tax, real estate, fund formation, and structuring aspects of investing in opportunity zones.
Alston & Bird’s extensive federal corporate, partnership, and REIT tax capability, and substantial experience in the formation of REITs and private real estate funds, is integral to the firm’s ability to effectively advise sponsors of opportunity zone funds, projects, and businesses on a full range of structuring alternatives. The firm also has a dedicated state tax team prepared to advise investors and sponsors on critical state tax considerations in connection with opportunity zone projects and investments.
- Advising a developer in structuring ownership and transaction steps in connection with an equity capital raise for a hotel development.
- Advising a developer in structuring the acquisition of, and investments by equity investors in, an opportunity zone parcel to be developed as a multifamily housing project.
- Counsel to multiple fund sponsors in structuring qualified opportunity funds intending to invest in real estate projects.
- Advising a fund sponsor in structuring the qualified opportunity fund intending to invest in renewable energy projects.
- Representing the founders of an operating business in structuring an offering to equity investors in a new manufacturing business in an opportunity zone.
- Counsel to potential investors in qualified opportunity funds.
- Advising operating businesses on structuring new investments as qualified opportunity funds.
- Representing fund investors on requiring funds to report capital gains to facilitate qualified opportunity fund investments.
- Advising a developer in structuring the acquisition of, and investments by equity investors in, an opportunity zone parcel to be developed as a selfstorage facility.