- Representing and counseling higher education clients on consumer issues throughout the country regarding contract, consumer protection, and fraud-based claims, including against mass arbitrations.
- Representing businesses in multiple investigations and high-risk government enforcement actions in California and Washington for alleged violations of various consumer protection statutes.
- Representing and advising a major petroleum company in complex franchise disputes involving the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act (PMPA), miscellaneous real estate disputes, and general marketing and advertising issues with branded gasoline stations and mini-market convenience stores in states west of the Rockies.
- Represented a department store chain in a consumer protection action and defeated injunctive relief sought by the government.
Financial Services and Real Estate
- Represented a credit union in a dispute involving consumer claims and health code violations brought by the city of Santa Maria, CA, against a borrower.
- Represented a major financial institution on more than 35 concurrently pending cases concerning the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Rosenthal Act, and other unfair debt collection laws.
- Represented a major institutional lender in litigation in California and Texas concerning a multimillion-dollar CMBS loan secured by an office building in Dallas.
- Represented one of the largest bank-affiliated equipment leasing and finance companies in the enforcement and collection of various equipment, electronics, and other security.
- Assisted a major institutional lender with a defaulted $19 million loan secured by retail property in Claremont, CA.
- Represented a major lender in an $85 million loan secured by retail property in Orange County, CA and assisted in its sale by the receiver to a third party.
- Handled out-of-state matters concerning defaulted residential loans and home equity lines of credit. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a lender in Maryland. Negotiated payment by an escrow agent for the entire loan amount for the agent’s failures pertaining to the deed of trust. Defended a wrongful foreclosure action and negotiated full payment.