- Advised clients on interpretation of and compliance with free trade agreements and preference programs, and represented clients in the due diligence, petitioning, and opposition phases of CBTPA, CAFTA, and NAFTA commercial availability proceedings.
- Challenged numerous attempts by Customs and Border Protection to deny preferential tariff treatment under free trade agreements.
- Guided clients through audits by Customs and Border Protection and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Prepared classification, commodity jurisdiction, and license requests and advised clients on sanctions and export controls administered by the Commerce Department, State Department, and Treasury Department.
- Drafted petitions, prepared supporting documents, and led meetings with Customs and Border Protection in seizure, penalty, and liquidated damages cases, resulting in the release of merchandise and substantial mitigation of penalties.
- Obtained binding classification and valuation rulings on a wide range of imported products, and protested existing determinations by Customs and Border Protection.
- Conducted due diligence and consulted on contract terms for corporate acquisitions and high-value sales transactions.
- Counseled clients on import requirements imposed by the Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Product Safety Commission, Department of Agriculture, Fish and Wildlife Service, and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.
- Assisted clients in developing compliance programs for requirements imposed by the Consumer Product Safety Act, the EU’s REACH law, and state requirements such as California’s Proposition 65, and served as a resource to clients on Toxic Substances Control Act reform and green chemistry initiatives.
- Prepared applications and obtained designation under the Support Anti-terrorism by Fostering Effective Technologies (SAFETY) Act.
- Phone: +1 202 239 3344
- Email: email@example.com
BJ offers a unique perspective to clients, combining both her experience as the lead customs counsel for a major aerospace and defense company and years in private practice to offer compliance and transactional advice that is strategic, practical, and global.