Clean Air Act, Energy, and Climate Change
- Represented a client before the Department of Energy regarding energy efficiency standards for consumer products, including counseling on requirements for certifying products and defending against alleged non-compliance.
- Represented a client in resolving prior Clean Air Act non-compliance at two newly acquired facilities.
- Counseled a client in a multimillion-dollar judicial Clean Air Act enforcement matter brought by the Department of Justice and EPA.
- Filed voluntary self-disclosures with the EPA related to potential non-compliance related to the Clean Air Act and advised clients regarding the corrective action requirements of EPA’s Audit Policy.
- Served as senior EPA counsel in Juliana v. United States, which involved claims that the government had violated the U.S. Constitution for failing to combat climate change.
- Provided legal advice to the EPA on petitions relating to Title V operating permits.
- Provided legal review of the President’s Executive Order on energy independence.
- Advise companies regarding the generation, registration, and sale of carbon offsets.
Chemicals and Pesticides
- Counseled multiple companies regarding regulatory requirements for adding antimicrobial protection to consumer goods.
- Advised companies bringing sanitizer and disinfectant products to market for the first time on compliance with EPA and FDA regulations.
- Defended a client against an EPA enforcement action alleging unauthorized import of consumer goods that made public health claims. Negotiated a novel resolution with federal regulators.
- Filed a voluntary disclosure of potential Toxic Substances Control Act non-compliance related to PCBs.
- Served as the Registered Agent for a company regulated by the EPA’s pesticide program.
- Developed the legal grounds for the EPA’s action addressing a petition to revoke tolerances for chlorpyrifos.
- Provided legal advice and support for new EPA rules issued under the updated Toxic Substances Control Act.
- Served as the lead EPA staff attorney for the re-registration of older pesticides and the agency’s initiative to complete this process by a statutory deadline.