Clean Air Act and Climate Change
- Served as senior EPA counsel in Juliana v. United States, involving claims that the government had violated the U.S. Constitution for failing to combat climate change.
- Provided oversight and strategic direction for the pending repeal of the Clean Power Plan.
- Developed strategy for pending litigation allowing the EPA to revise its implementation of the New Source Review program.
- Provided legal advice to the EPA on petitions relating to Title V operating permits.
- Provided legal review of the President’s Executive Order on energy independence.
Clean Water Act (CWA) and Safe Drinking Water
- Served as the assistant general counsel for the EPA CWA Scope and Implementation Group.
- Served as one of the EPA’s two lead drafters of the Bush Administration’s Guidance on the Scope of CWA Jurisdiction after Rapanos and had significant involvement in all post-Rapanos litigation, including in the Supreme Court.
- Lead drafter of the Federal Register notice implementing the Clean Water Act Executive Order.
- Oversaw litigation strategy for the Steam Electric Power Generating Effluent Limitation Guidelines.
- Led agency negotiations in the settlement of litigation regarding the EPA’s actions in Bristol Bay.
Chemicals and Pesticides
- Developed the legal grounds for the EPA’s action addressing a petition to revoke tolerances for chlorpyrifos.
- Provided legal advice and support for new EPA rules issued under the updated Toxic Substances Control Act.
- Served as the lead EPA staff attorney for the re-registration of older pesticides and the agency’s successful initiative to complete this process by a statutory deadline.