Representative Security Incident Response
- Represents one of the largest home improvement retailers in the United States in connection with a sophisticated cyberattack and criminal intrusion involving customized malware targeting payment card data from point-of-sale systems. The representation includes, among other areas, coordination with the payment card brand networks, and federal and state law enforcement agencies, directing the forensic investigation of the PFI and other third party forensic firms, and the defense of multiple putative class actions filed by financial institutions.
- Represented a global diversified industrial company in connection with a targeted attack by sophisticated threat actors engaged in industrial espionage and financial fraud.
- Represented a global provider of business information in connection with a sophisticated intrusion by Eastern European organized criminals groups that impacted data breach laws and regulations in over 50 countries. The incident response included directing a complex and technical forensic investigation involving U.S. and non-U.S. systems; analyzing US state and federal and international breach notification statutes, regulations, and recommendations, and coordinating the notification process; responding to numerous State Attorneys General inquiries; development and execution of crisis communication plans; and participating in frequent senior executive and Board-level meetings. Represented a global payment processor in connection with a technical, complex computer crime investigation involving a sophisticated cyber threat actor. The crisis response effort included advising on a myriad of legal issues, including securities law guidance, regulatory issues, class action defense, governmental investigations, and insurance coverage and issues. The effort also included supervising and managing a complex cyber forensic investigation that included a rapid response to a sophisticated intruder with deep and persistent access to the environment; development of containment, eradication and remediation strategies; and coordination of the activities of multiple third parties, including an independent forensic investigator, several payment card brand networks, financial regulators and federal law enforcement.
- Represented a global retail company in a sophisticated cyberattack involving customized malware targeting payment card data from point-of-sale systems. The crisis response included coordinating the activities of multiple third parties, including state and federal regulators, payment card brand networks, federal law enforcement agencies and the Department of Justice, as well as directing multiple third party forensic firms in conducting a technical, forensic investigation
- Represented a global payments company in an extensive data theft incident by a former employee. The representation included directing a technical forensic investigation, overseeing a complex fraud data analytics analysis, preparing evidence for law enforcement and federal prosecution, and counseling on disclosure and customer communications strategies.
- Represented a global electronics company in connection with a sophisticated re-shipping fraud scheme operated out of Eastern Europe impacting high-end electronics and involving multiple vendors of the company.
- Represented one of the world’s largest interactive marketing services providers in a massive network breach, involving more than 60 million individual records. Worked with a global energy company suspected of being compromised by Advanced Persistent Threat actors. The response included enhanced monitoring of critical systems; preventative forensics, including a breach indicator assessment, a review of existing investigation and law enforcement information; and assisting management with briefings to executives.
- Extensive representation of clients involving a variety of data breach incidents, including inadvertent data disclosures and malicious data leakage and theft, by a variety of bad actors, including insiders, nation-states, and organized criminals groups. Such representation involves forensic investigation supervision and management, analysis of a variety of state, federal, and international data breach notification and response statutes and guidance, regulatory inquires, and follow-on privacy-related litigation.