Your real estate deals need to happen in real time, stay within your budget, and hit your targets.
The real estate lawyers at Alston & Bird assist our clients in the acquisition and sale of improved and unimproved real property throughout the United States and abroad. We handle transactions involving properties of all types and sizes—office, retail, industrial, multifamily, mixed-use, hotel, resort, and planned community—in single-asset deals and multijurisdictional portfolios. Our clients represent some of the world’s largest financial institutions, insurance companies, pension funds, REITs, developers, owner/operators, public entities, and private investors.
Our experience is reflected in a diverse range and large footprint of property acquisitions and dispositions each year, in all economic cycles.
Our long-standing relationships with several of the largest real estate owners in the world allow us to creatively collaborate with clients to solve tough problems in the most cost-effective manner possible.
- Oversaw the acquisition of a $170 million industrial building portfolio of 12 properties located in seven states, which included the formation/negotiation of a joint venture for this portfolio and future transactions.
- Representation of one of the largest privately owned real estate acquisition, redevelopment and management firms in New York for over seven years in its acquisition and disposition of “trophy” office towers in New York, D.C. and California.
- Representation of International Paper in various nationwide projects, including the $6.6 billion sale of 5.7 million acres of timberlands located in 14 states and the $6 billion acquisition of 100 paper and packaging facilities located in 30 states.
- Current representation of a financial institution in the sale and resulting lease-back of its own real estate office towers nationwide, including trophy towers in Boston and New York.
- Acquisition on behalf of a fund sponsor of 12 distressed apartment complexes in the Southeast in a 15-month period through a programmatic joint venture with foreign investors.
- Refinement of disposition programs with seller-protective risk profiles that are accepted in the buying market, as applied to hundreds of significant sale transactions across the United States for major institutional holders of real estate assets, including banks, REITS and insurance companies, covering office, retail, mixed-use, industrial, senior living and multifamily properties.