The practice draws upon professional backgrounds in trade and economic policy formulation, legislative development and diplomacy. Our involvement in the global trade arena stems directly from experience gained as U.S. trade negotiators and senior trade policy officials, including the development of contemporary U.S. free trade policy, participation in the negotiation of the landmark U.S.-Singapore Free Trade Agreement and handling policy and trade disputes on a variety of matters such as investment, labor, trade in genetically modified organisms, intellectual property and financial services.Our practice is truly global in scope. We have advised corporate clients on strategic and regulatory issues in national jurisdictions spanning East and Southeast Asia, Latin America, the European Union and North America, and we have advised sovereign governments throughout the Asia-Pacific and the Middle East regions. We offer clients a fully integrated approach to service with legal practices at Alston & Bird ranging from international trade and customs to telecommunications, tax, health care and intellectual property rights. Our goal is to construct client teams that marry strategy, legal and local expertise to deliver effective solutions to the interdisciplinary challenges facing global business.
Our professionals are recognized thought leaders with respect to global trade, trade policy and the globalization of commerce. Our work has been published in major media outlets in Japan, Europe and the United States, while our consultants have circled the globe as speakers on trade and e-commerce in the United Kingdom, Mexico, Japan, Canada and various U.S. regional markets. These efforts often place us on the inside of policy processes that affect our clients in markets throughout the world.
- Advise the government of the Russian Federation on international trade, economic development and investment policy issues, including accession to the World Trade Organization.
- Counsel the Coalition Against Domain Name Abuse on legislative and international strategies to protect consumers and branded trademarks from online piracy, fraud and abuse.
- Advised a Fortune 100 manufacturer on energy policy and climate change-related regulatory developments and their impact upon product development in North America.
- Counseled U.S. private equity funds on acquisitions in East Asia valued at more than $3 billion.
- Advised multiple foreign sovereign governments on negotiations of bilateral and multilateral free trade agreements.